ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Cutting Cable. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319693)

Dunit35 02-27-2019 04:03 PM

Bought a Roku streaming stick+ yesterday. I think we’re rolling with YouTubetv for March. Buy a Roku get youtube for a month for free. Then I’ll search some more.

Hulu has the history channel but no AMC.
YouTubetv has AMC but not history channel.
Slingtv has both but I’d need an antenna for locals.

Jerm 03-12-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 14115474)
I cut the cord today. DTV couldn’t come close to matching Hulu Live TV $45/month. Our DTV bill was going to be $99/month. Not worth it for the 15-20 channels we do watch.

We still have DTV until March 1st, then I’ll make the switch to Hulu.

I sure hope Reddit shows a lot of the Royals games (in KC broadcast) or I’m going to have to go back to DTV.

Did you have a contract with them? Did you have to pay an ETF?

Figured it'd be hard as hell to get out from under...I have DTV as well and want to cut the cord.

Sorce 03-29-2019 10:37 PM

My contract with comcast is up in June, thinking of going to google fiber + YTTV and Philo. This seems to have all the channels that we watch that can't be gotten free with roku apps. Already have rokus for all tv's. Anyone using this combo of streaming services? seems to cover pretty much everything.

notorious 03-30-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 14186909)
My contract with comcast is up in June, thinking of going to google fiber + YTTV and Philo. This seems to have all the channels that we watch that can't be gotten free with roku apps. Already have rokus for all tv's. Anyone using this combo of streaming services? seems to cover pretty much everything.

I use them both. Perfect combo as Philo has the main channels that Youtubetv doesn’t.

Skyy God 03-30-2019 03:51 PM

Thinking of buying a dedicated computer to stream movies to my TV.

Have an Xbox 1 X, PS4, Apple TV, and Fire.

What’s going to be my best option on the software/app side?

Dunit35 03-30-2019 03:55 PM

We’ve been without cable for a month now. Really haven’t noticed the change. Watched both Royals games on Reddit. We’ve been watching shows on Netflix most of the time. We haven’t bought a cable streaming service yet.

Saving a $100 a month going cableless.

srvy 03-30-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

They both lack NFL Network if Philo carried that i'd be a happy camper to go along with my Youtube TV.

GloryDayz 03-31-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

I'm a Google Fiber person, and I happen to have a Fire Stick (that I use occasionally), my question is, since you have to buy the broadband service for any of the others to work how does that save money?

DaFace 03-31-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14187622)
Thinking of buying a dedicated computer to stream movies to my TV.

Have an Xbox 1 X, PS4, Apple TV, and Fire.

What’s going to be my best option on the software/app side?

How are you trying to stream them that doesn't work with any of those?

Jerm 04-01-2019 08:35 AM

I've convinced the wife to cut the cable...just have to wait this stupid DTV contract out until the ETF is manageable.

GloryDayz 04-01-2019 08:46 AM

I'm still confused. My pricing here shows that internet alone would be $70 (what you'd need to enable other things like ROKU and a FireStick), so the difference for us (because we have the Fiber 100 + TV option) is $90. So the possible saving for going to streaming would be the difference between all those streaming services and the extra $90 we pay. Right? If all those other streaming services are free beyond the upfront cost of the hardware, that's a potential savings of $90 a month, $1,080 a year), but if they cost anything, that would cut into the savings, right?

While I can see how one might save the difference (up to $90 a month is you don't rent a movie), I don't see how anybody "cuts cable" because none of those other service work without some sort of ISP.

DaFace 04-01-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14189296)
I'm still confused. My pricing here shows that internet alone would be $70 (what you'd need to enable other things like ROKU and a FireStick), so the difference for us (because we have the Fiber 100 + TV option) is $90. So the possible saving for going to streaming would be the difference between all those streaming services and the extra $90 we pay. Right? If all those other streaming services are free beyond the upfront cost of the hardware, that's a potential savings of $90 a month, $1,080 a year), but if they cost anything, that would cut into the savings, right?

While I can see how one might save the difference (up to $90 a month is you don't rent a movie), I don't see how anybody "cuts cable" because none of those other service work without some sort of ISP.

Well, right. You still need internet access, so there's always a cost of some sort. The exact amount of those savings depends on what other services you're paying for so you're correct that it may be less than $90/month. (That said, keep in mind that cable companies are also notorious for adding a ton of fees on top of their listed rates, so that might influence things too.)

For me, I'm saving maybe $30-$40 per month by doing DSL ($60) plus Hulu with Live ($50) plus Netflix ($10) compared to what I was paying for DirecTV back in the day ($150ish total), but frankly I just can't stand watching live TV anymore. Once you get used to watching everything on demand, it's kind of weird to have to wait for something to come on at a particular time (sporting events aside). I always feel a bit lost in hotel rooms these days.

GloryDayz 04-01-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14189365)
Well, right. You still need internet access, so there's always a cost of some sort. The exact amount of those savings depends on what other services you're paying for so you're correct that it may be less than $90/month. (That said, keep in mind that cable companies are also notorious for adding a ton of fees on top of their listed rates, so that might influence things too.)

For me, I'm saving maybe $30-$40 per month by doing DSL ($60) plus Hulu with Live ($50) plus Netflix ($10) compared to what I was paying for DirecTV back in the day ($150ish total), but frankly I just can't stand watching live TV anymore. Once you get used to watching everything on demand, it's kind of weird to have to wait for something to come on at a particular time (sporting events aside). I always feel a bit lost in hotel rooms these days.

Cool. And I agree totally. Perhaps I'm closer to being a luddite than I thought because using the FireStick (even though I used it yesterday to watch a movie that was mostly over on GF!!!) keeps me in the "TV" world. Even though my complaints about GF's "shutter lag" on their goofy remote are well documented. As for the "1000Mbps" - pffffft, I'm a network engineer, they need to try and sell that shit to somebody else. Hell, all but a two devices in my house are "wireless", so those are defendable "legal" sales numbers only. Again, pfffffft..

Oh, did I forget my endless whining about missing Pic-in-a-pic (with recording)? LMAO :thumb:

So maybe I'll look into these other options.

htismaqe 04-01-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14188242)
How are you trying to stream them that doesn't work with any of those?

He's probably got tons of downloaded movies that he wants to stream. Arrrrgghhh matey! :D

In all seriousness, Cave, you should look for a small NAS with HDMI and video decoder. Save's the trouble of trying to build a tiny PC and they are purpose built for video streaming and such.

Fish 04-01-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14189429)
Cool. And I agree totally. Perhaps I'm closer to being a luddite than I thought because using the FireStick (even though I used it yesterday to watch a movie that was mostly over on GF!!!) keeps me in the "TV" world. Even though my complaints about GF's "shutter lag" on their goofy remote are well documented. As for the "1000Mbps" - pffffft, I'm a network engineer, they need to try and sell that shit to somebody else. Hell, all but a two devices in my house are "wireless", so those are defendable "legal" sales numbers only. Again, pfffffft..

Oh, did I forget my endless whining about missing Pic-in-a-pic (with recording)? LMAO :thumb:

So maybe I'll look into these other options.

You are confusing Google Fiber TV with the general Google Fiber internet service. Most here are just using their internet along with other services like SlingTV/YoutubeTV/HuluLiveTV. Which would be a replacement for your Google Fiber TV instead of an addition.

And FYI... the 1000Mbp connection isn't necessary for streaming and Google doesn't make that claim. I'm not sure WTF you're talking about there.

Picture in picture? LMAO... seriously?

Aspengc8 04-01-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14189596)
You are confusing Google Fiber TV with the general Google Fiber internet service. Most here are just using their internet along with other services like SlingTV/YoutubeTV/HuluLiveTV. Which would be a replacement for your Google Fiber TV instead of an addition.

And FYI... the 1000Mbp connection isn't necessary for streaming and Google doesn't make that claim. I'm not sure WTF you're talking about there.

exactly. The 100Mb internet package is more than enough for a handful of devices to stream 4k simultaneously.

GloryDayz 04-01-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14189596)

I'm not confusing anything you ****ing idiot, we just broke down the difference between the ISP side of the "cable" companies and their TV offering. You know, the whole "$90" deal! Reading is fundamental!

And yeah, PIP was/is sweet.. Well, for those of us who can multi-task.

Now run along kid, go dig-up some fake science about global warming..

Fish 04-01-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14189620)
I'm not confusing anything you ****ing idiot, we just broke down the difference between the ISP side of the "cable" companies and their TV offering. You know, the whole "$90" deal! Reading is fundamental!

And yeah, PIP was/is sweet.. Well, for those of us who can multi-task.

Now run along kid, go dig-up some fake science about global warming..

You previously claimed that you'd need the $70 Gigabit plan for streaming. But that's incorrect, which was my point. And also something a supposed network engineer would understand.

GloryDayz 04-01-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14189650)
You previously claimed that you'd need the $70 Gigabit plan for streaming. But that's incorrect, which was my point. And also something a supposed network engineer would understand.

Ah, so you're making a big deal over the $50 100Mbps data-only plan over the $70 1000Mbps data-only plan. Gatcha. What a moron...

Stick to global warming fantasies.

htismaqe 04-01-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 14189612)
exactly. The 100Mb internet package is more than enough for a handful of devices to stream 4k simultaneously.

The average HD 1080p stream takes like 12-14Mbps or something like that. It isn't huge.

Chief Pagan 04-03-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14127148)
I'm gonna look into Tivo but I gotta think there is some DVR software available out there that I can just use a spare PC and a tuner card that will let me do this on the cheap.

Media Player on Windows 7 works fine for OTA DVR. If you can track down a media player remote that works with it, it is even better.

It's what I've been using for years. They discontinued the channel guide. But I just enter time and channel. You can set it up to record same time each day/week.

arrowheadnation 04-03-2019 07:14 AM

I tried cutting the cord a year ago. I dropped cable and went to Playstation Vue because of its built in DVR feature and used a Mohu Leaf antenna for local channels. I convinced myself for a few months that it was great, but after a while, I realized that I was only saving about $20/month and there were some channels that I couldn't get on PS vue that I found myself missing (History being one of them). The other issue was the hassle of having to switch between inputs and the little glitchy issues with PS Vue. Nothing huge I know, but just minor inconveniences that bothered me that I didn't have to deal with before. I moved to a new house and was able to get into an AT&T deal that included Uverse and 15mbps internet for $119/month for 2 years. I jumped all over this and life has been normal again for the past two years, but next month is the end of the two years. Luckily, Cox Cable is now offering a promo where you get 60 mbps internet and Contour TV for $114/month for 3 years! So I'm switching to that....and in 3 years, I'll either switch back to ATT or to Dish...whomever has the best promo at the time. So as for right now, I'm done with cutting the cord.

GloryDayz 04-03-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14192351)
I tried cutting the cord a year ago. I dropped cable and went to Playstation Vue because of its built in DVR feature and used a Mohu Leaf antenna for local channels. I convinced myself for a few months that it was great, but after a while, I realized that I was only saving about $20/month and there were some channels that I couldn't get on PS vue that I found myself missing (History being one of them). The other issue was the hassle of having to switch between inputs and the little glitchy issues with PS Vue. Nothing huge I know, but just minor inconveniences that bothered me that I didn't have to deal with before. I moved to a new house and was able to get into an AT&T deal that included Uverse and 15mbps internet for $119/month for 2 years. I jumped all over this and life has been normal again for the past two years, but next month is the end of the two years. Luckily, Cox Cable is now offering a promo where you get 60 mbps internet and Contour TV for $114/month for 3 years! So I'm switching to that....and in 3 years, I'll either switch back to ATT or to Dish...whomever has the best promo at the time. So as for right now, I'm done with cutting the cord.

After a coupe of years of Google Fiber I'm considering going back to Time Warner (now Spectrum) if they're willing to cut a sweet deal. I miss BeIN Sports and their Italian Serie A soccer. Not to mention PICTURE IN A PICTURE! And yes, the History, Science, Military channels are a must...

And not dealing with GF's shutter-lag remote would be nice too.

BryanBusby 04-04-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14192351)

Cox and Uverse are your options? You poor ****er.

sedated 04-05-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14189365)
I always feel a bit lost in hotel rooms these days.

As much as I like the "out of town" feel of watching a hotel room TV (with local news), I generally pack my Roku.

DJ's left nut 04-05-2019 09:55 AM

I think I'm gonna go with Youtube TV.

I can have Fiber run to my house in the next 30-60 days. I could get a Gig/Second speeds for about $70/mo if I pre-pay for 2 years, which is just comically cheap. But I'll never come anywhere close to using that so I'm gonna do 300 MB/S for about $40/mo, which I'll also never come close to using.

Youtube TV is gonna have everything I want except the Science channel and History Channel. History has gotten pretty shitty these days and most anything I used to watch on there can be found on AHC. Moreover, Netflix has good history documentaries anyway. Losing Science Channel will kinda suck though. I don't know where to find How the Universe Works elsewhere and that show is awesome.

We'll see how it goes.

GloryDayz 04-05-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 14195439)
As much as I like the "out of town" feel of watching a hotel room TV (with local news), I generally pack my Roku.

I've been known to pack the FireStick, but since I don't use it very often, and them usually only to find a movie I can't get on GF, I'm not sure the local TV is much more foreign to me than the FireStick when compared to what I use 99% of the time.

GloryDayz 04-05-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14195454)

I can have Fiber run to my house in the next 30-60 days. I could get a Gig/Second speeds for about $70/mo if I pre-pay for 2 years, which is just comically cheap. But I'll never come anywhere close to using that so I'm gonna do 300 MB/S for about $40/mo, which I'll also never come close to using.

Youtube TV is gonna have everything I want except the Science channel and History Channel. History has gotten pretty shitty these days and most anything I used to watch on there can be found on AHC. Moreover, Netflix has good history documentaries anyway. Losing Science Channel will kinda suck though. I don't know where to find How the Universe Works elsewhere and that show is awesome.

We'll see how it goes.

So is that $40 (ISP) + $40 (YT-TV) + $10 (NetFlix) = $90 a month? Or are you getting YT-TV and Netflix for less than that?

DJ's left nut 04-05-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14195523)
So is that $40 (ISP) + $40 (YT-TV) + $10 (NetFlix) = $90 a month? Or are you getting YT-TV and Netflix for less than that?

YT-TV would be $40/mo. I'm using my FIL's Netflix and we got Hulu for a year for $1 (because why not?) and we were already Prime members.

But I'm paying about $225/mo right now for DirecTV and internet and my internet is about 80MPS on its best days (and frankly, it's best days are few and far between).

I'd lose a few channels but I'd also get that ridiculous cloud based DVR that's theoretically unlimited and extensive On-Demand programming through YT-TV. So even if I round up for various taxes/fees (I guess), I'm under $100 and saving more than $1,000/yr. That's that damn Grizzly G0513 Bandsaw I keep talking myself out of plus several blades.

And with streaming you simply get much better picture quality, especially when your speeds are extremely high. I just put my Google Mesh in last fall so I'll have great coverage throughout the house.

Kindof a no-brainer at that point.

GloryDayz 04-05-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14195704)
YT-TV would be $40/mo. I'm using my FIL's Netflix and we got Hulu for a year for $1 (because why not?) and we were already Prime members.

But I'm paying about $225/mo right now for DirecTV and internet and my internet is about 80MPS on its best days (and frankly, it's best days are few and far between).

I'd lose a few channels but I'd also get that ridiculous cloud based DVR that's theoretically unlimited and extensive On-Demand programming through YT-TV. So even if I round up for various taxes/fees (I guess), I'm under $100 and saving more than $1,000/yr. That's that damn Grizzly G0513 Bandsaw I keep talking myself out of plus several blades.

And with streaming you simply get much better picture quality, especially when your speeds are extremely high. I just put my Google Mesh in last fall so I'll have great coverage throughout the house.

Kindof a no-brainer at that point.

Sweet...

lewdog 04-05-2019 09:43 PM

We have been on Hulu Live for a few months now. I don't miss DTV at all. I see how the interface can be a bit odd though. It's fine for me but also annoying at times.

KC Dan 04-09-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14196031)
We have been on Hulu Live for a few months now. I don't miss DTV at all. I see how the interface can be a bit odd though. It's fine for me but also annoying at times.

Agreed. Its been almost 2 years now since I cut the DTV cord and saved $1800 so far. Screw DTV

RustShack 04-09-2019 05:15 PM

From what little I’ve gathered Sling or YouTube TV is the best route to go. I haven’t done much research though.

BryanBusby 04-09-2019 05:27 PM

Sling sucks shit.

Either youtube tv or vue and hope to god you'll never need Sony CS

Unless you live in bumble**** nowhere with terrible Internet, there's no reason to have traditional subscription TV. It's the drizzling shits.

srvy 04-09-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 14199791)
From what little I’ve gathered Sling or YouTube TV is the best route to go. I haven’t done much research though.

Only thing Sling has going for it is NFL Network but if memory serves me you got to upgrade to get. I love youtube TV except missing NFL Network and History. Ill survive.

srvy 04-10-2019 06:56 PM

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/1...discovery-hgtv

Got a message that Youtube TV is raising price to 50.00 plus several new channels. Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend .

Fish 04-10-2019 08:12 PM

I'm still on the grandfathered $35 plan. Wonder if that will change. Nice new channels though.

Miles 04-10-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14201669)
I'm still on the grandfathered $35 plan. Wonder if that will change. Nice new channels though.

Looks like no grandfathering this time and we’ll get the increase next week.

Hammock Parties 04-10-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Losing Science Channel will kinda suck though. I don't know where to find How the Universe Works elsewhere and that show is awesome.

Someone needs to hook you up with torrents.

I don’t even have Netflix.

arrowheadnation 04-10-2019 11:17 PM

I'm going with my second attempt at cutting the cord. Locked in internet price at $59/mo for 3 years, YouTube TV for apparently $50/mo. now/ (and HBO Now during Game of Thrones) = $110/mo.

My 2 year Promo with ATT is about to run out. They were going to raise my price to $170+ per month. See ya later...

Fish 04-10-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 14201828)
Looks like no grandfathering this time and we’ll get the increase next week.

Yup. This is what I'm seeing. Damn...........

https://i.imgur.com/TQKt3IR.png

srvy 04-11-2019 06:36 AM

That rotten when your grandfathered in seems they should honor the promise.

Miles 04-11-2019 07:56 AM

Figured it would happen eventually but feels pretty cable like to add channels I don’t care about and increase the bill by a large percentage. Still no interest in switching though since it’s such a great service. Now if they could just get NFL network and Comedy Central.

srvy 04-11-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 14201998)
Figured it would happen eventually but feels pretty cable like to add channels I don’t care about and increase the bill by a large percentage. Still no interest in switching though since it’s such a great service. Now if they could just get NFL network and Comedy Central.

Yes the raise of monthly fee would be easier to swallow if NFL Network was added.

Dunit35 04-11-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14201550)
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/1...discovery-hgtv

Got a message that Youtube TV is raising price to 50.00 plus several new channels. Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend .

Still no History channel.

Hulu Live TV $45/month is what we’ll eventually get. We cancelled DTV Feb 28th and haven’t added any live tv. We watch Netflix and some prime. Haven’t missed live TV yet.

YouTubeTV bumping it $15 seems kind of excessive.

The Franchise 04-11-2019 09:42 AM

After Game of Thrones.....we're dumping DirecTV now and not using any of the streaming services other than Amazon Prime and Netflix. We've found that we don't even really watch anything other than a couple of shows and it's mostly filler while we're eating dinner or doing something around the house.

WilliamTheIrish 04-14-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14202159)
After Game of Thrones.....we're dumping DirecTV now and not using any of the streaming services other than Amazon Prime and Netflix. We've found that we don't even really watch anything other than a couple of shows and it's mostly filler while we're eating dinner or doing something around the house.

Cut the cord (hard to believe this) 5 years ago. Uverse had me on autopay and very quietly added channels and fees until I was well over $200 per month. I told them to **** off (they obliged) and I'll never give them, or any other cable company, another dime as long as I breathe.

You'll find that you will read/talk/listen to more music or podcasts and actually enjoy yourself more without cable. I got rid of FB on my phone and cut my screen time to about 40 minutes a day too. Tired of being a slave to the phone too. I estimate my cable savings at well over $10,000 over 5 years.

Netflix and Prime are what we have currently. And we wouldn't have that if it were up to me. I get all of my TV shows through KODI. Some movies too.

I'm a big documentary guy so Flix takes care of what I like to watch really well.

As for sports, I stream all baseball/basketball/hockey through various free sources.

Except the Chiefs. 12$ HD antennas on all TV's pulls them in just fine. And it's about 15/20 seconds faster through the air than cable or satellite. It's annoying to my friends when texting back and forth and the Chiefs are in the huddle on their cable hooked TV, and I'm texting "TOUCHDOWN... Incredible throw!!! OMFG!!! from my antenna driven TV.

I'm not into fantasy football so if a game isn't on free, it's of no interest to me. Locally, when the Chiefs are on SNF/MNF they broadcast those on the ABC affiliate so I don't have to miss it.

Easy 6 04-14-2019 04:03 PM

I’m damn near ready to pull the plug on cable, it’s only a matter of time

Between free over the air digital, YouTube, and something like Netflix it would be so easy really... the only problem is Chiefs games, I depend on a CBS station too far away for free digital reception for all non prime time games and streaming games is always fraught with peril

GloryDayz 04-14-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14206357)
I’m damn near ready to pull the plug on cable, it’s only a matter of time

Between free over the air digital, YouTube, and something like Netflix it would be so easy really... the only problem is Chiefs games, I depend on a CBS station too far away for free digital reception for all non prime time games and streaming games is always fraught with peril

I tend to agree with a lot of this. I see the saving offered by "cutting cable", but, for me, it's not enough. I have both cable and the Fire Stick, I'm just not ready for what I'm seeing as a patch-work quilt of services to build a complete picture.

But hey, I still like/want PiP...

Easy 6 04-14-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14206392)
I tend to agree with a lot of this. I see the saving offered by "cutting cable", but, for me, it's not enough. I have both cable and the Fire Stick, I'm just not ready for what I'm seeing as a patch-work quilt of services to build a complete picture.

But hey, I still like/want PiP...

Yeah cable still has its benefits like pip, on demand and so on

But when I find a way to get those daytime Chiefs games without cable, it’s a done deal

DaFace 04-14-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14206418)

But when I find a way to get those daytime Chiefs games without cable, it’s a done deal

While I try not to suggest "alternate methods" for the most part, as I prefer to keep things legit as much as possible...

Reddit NFL streams work great.

(Or if you're in the local market, I've actually had no problems with Hulu for Broncos games here in Denver, and I've heard good things about YouTube as well.)

Easy 6 04-14-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14206428)
While I try not to suggest "alternate methods" for the most part, as I prefer to keep things legit as much as possible...

(Or if you're in the local market, I've actually had no problems with Hulu for Broncos games here in Denver, and I've heard good things about YouTube as well.)

Reddit is by orders of magnitude better than any other stream I know of

That said even they have let me down quite a bit, maybe it’s just my equip/strength of service package, but I want something reliable for the games

ChiefsCountry 04-14-2019 06:01 PM

How are the local channels on YouTubeTV?

Fish 04-14-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 14206507)
How are the local channels on YouTubeTV?

What do you mean? It's the same Fox4, KCTV5, KSHB, KMBC9 channels that are on KC cable or OTA. If you are in a different viewing area, you will see the local channels for that area. Depends on location.

GloryDayz 04-14-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14206418)

I've got "cable" (Google Fiber), and they're not technically savvy enough (yet) to offer PiP...

I guess they can't fit it into a Gig.. LMAO

Not unlike being able to selectively block certain MAC addresses that appear on the fiber side!!! Their great answer = "change the SSID, thus blocking everybody, then you'll know." :spock: But hey, add a non-GF WAP to the home and connect it TO YOUR NETWORK BOX, and they can sense THAT, and tell users connected to that WAP that they're not on their home network (when the 1000% are)...

But alas, it's Google...

The Franchise 04-14-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14206428)

I used Reddit NFL streams for the entire season last year and really only had an issue with two of the games. And it wasn’t the entire game either...only about a quarter of each game.

ChiefsCountry 04-14-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14206514)
What do you mean? It's the same Fox4, KCTV5, KSHB, KMBC9 channels that are on KC cable or OTA. If you are in a different viewing area, you will see the local channels for that area. Depends on location.

That is what I was meant. It's getting the actual locals, just not the national feed from the networks.

If that's the case I might look into YouTubeTV some more.

Easy 6 04-16-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14206521)
I've got "cable" (Google Fiber), and they're not technically savvy enough (yet) to offer PiP...

I guess they can't fit it into a Gig.. LMAO

Not unlike being able to selectively block certain MAC addresses that appear on the fiber side!!! Their great answer = "change the SSID, thus blocking everybody, then you'll know." :spock: But hey, add a non-GF WAP to the home and connect it TO YOUR NETWORK BOX, and they can sense THAT, and tell users connected to that WAP that they're not on their home network (when the 1000% are)...

But alas, it's Google...

I have absolutely no idea what you just said there, lol

Such a tech dinosaur, I am

Al Bundy 04-19-2019 06:55 PM

BTW UVers cut NFL network with no notice.

DrRyan 07-22-2019 05:23 PM

Just cut the cord with DTV after 13-14 years with Sunday Ticket. Zero discount, credits, etc offered this year. After checking out the www.suppose.tv/tv link posted earlier in the thread I am leaning towards YoutubeTV.

Has anyone used YTTV and a VPN to stream out of network NFL games?

OnTheWarpath15 07-22-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

We'll see how it goes.

The only thing YTTV is missing that I'll miss is NFLN.

Can't stand the ESPN pregame show.

In58men 08-06-2019 03:35 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1a21907029.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mecca 08-07-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14382368)

I already have Hulu and I'm considering dumping Netflix that might be worth it to save money and get more content I want.

lewdog 08-11-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14382368)

I don't get it?

I pay $45 for Hulu alone.

GloryDayz 08-11-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14390936)
I don't get it?

They're ****ing you..

DaFace 08-11-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

I don't get it?

They're referring to the non-live version of Hulu.

007 08-11-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

I don't get it?

I pay $45 for Hulu Live.

Fyp

lewdog 08-11-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14390948)
They're referring to the non-live version of Hulu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14390952)
Fyp

Yes, I have the live version for sports. Oops.

Miles 08-12-2019 05:20 AM

Also the version with commercials bundled with the Disney stream.

Lzen 08-12-2019 08:19 AM

Can someone explain to me why the Chiefs preseason game against the Bengals was not able to be streamed on Youtube TV? Said streaming was not allowed. Is this just a preseason thing since those contracts are local? Will I be able to watch regular season games on there?

Mecca 08-12-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 14391121)
Can someone explain to me why the Chiefs preseason game against the Bengals was not able to be streamed on Youtube TV? Said streaming was not allowed. Is this just a preseason thing since those contracts are local? Will I be able to watch regular season games on there?

Probably, I have CBS all access and they weren't showing it either.

dirk digler 08-12-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

That sucks. I am seriously considering cutting cable and deciding between YoutubeTV and PSVue but I have to be able to watch the Chiefs. I take it this doesn't happen for regular season games on the local KC CBS channel?

Fish 08-12-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Just a preseason thing. The Chiefs do their own in-house production for their preseason games. Because of that, they only own broadcasting rights to broadcast it on local TV over the air. They don't bother with broadcasting rights beyond that which would cover internet streaming. Once the normal season starts, the broadcasting rights are owned by CBS/ABC/NFL which can broadcast on internet streaming platforms.

If you're a YoutubeTV subscriber, but want to view preseason games, you can use the Chiefs mobile app(Android/iOS). That will allow you to stream the Chiefs preseason games live. You may need a VPN/location spoofer if you live outside the KC area, but I don't know I haven't tested. You may find a reddit/nflstreams link, but it's hit or miss for preseason games.

Lzen 08-12-2019 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info, Fish.

007 08-13-2019 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14391146)
Just a preseason thing. The Chiefs do their own in-house production for their preseason games. Because of that, they only own broadcasting rights to broadcast it on local TV over the air. They don't bother with broadcasting rights beyond that which would cover internet streaming. Once the normal season starts, the broadcasting rights are owned by CBS/ABC/NFL which can broadcast on internet streaming platforms.

If you're a YoutubeTV subscriber, but want to view preseason games, you can use the Chiefs mobile app(Android/iOS). That will allow you to stream the Chiefs preseason games live. You may need a VPN/location spoofer if you live outside the KC area, but I don't know I haven't tested. You may find a reddit/nflstreams link, but it's hit or miss for preseason games.

I was messing around trying to figure that out at halftime during the game. I couldn't find the stream on the chiefs app anywhere.

dj56dt58 08-14-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14391146)

Thats weird..Hulu aired it

RunKC 08-23-2019 07:49 AM

I like YouTube tv but for $50? Seems a bit high

jjchieffan 08-24-2019 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14405741)
I like YouTube tv but for $50? Seems a bit high

Yep. Everyone keeps upping their rates. I had DirecTV Now originally at $35/ month. Then it went up to $40. I kept it at that rate. Then, they changed the lineup, stuck HBO in their basic package, and bumped it up to $50. I quit them after that. I may consider Sling during football season for the Monday night games on ESPN. You can get Sling Orange or Blue for $25. One of them has ESPN, I don't remember which. But if that GearsTV works out, I'll probably just stick with it.

007 08-24-2019 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 14406741)
Yep. Everyone keeps upping their rates. I had DirecTV Now originally at $35/ month. Then it went up to $40. I kept it at that rate. Then, they changed the lineup, stuck HBO in their basic package, and bumped it up to $50. I quit them after that. I may consider Sling during football season for the Monday night games on ESPN. You can get Sling Orange or Blue for $25. One of them has ESPN, I don't remember which. But if that GearsTV works out, I'll probably just stick with it.

I'm sure they will eventually raise prices up to the point that cable will start looking good to people again. Its one of the reasons I never got caught up in cable tv shows and just stick to network programming. OTA antenna and I'm good to go.

RunKC 08-24-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 14406741)

I’m thinking Sling Blue and Disney+

You get NFLN on Sling and ESPN streaming from Disney. It’s only $38