ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How good are the masks working for you (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332415)

Sorce 07-17-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 15072549)
People have to wear them for it to be affective.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

They require them in KC now. Had to go to the dmv. The number of people with their noses hanging out or wearing them under their chin was crazy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Megatron96 07-17-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KS Smitty (Post 15072388)
The mandates haven't been followed by everyone though. It seems that is what has been and continues to be the main problem, not everyone is going to follow the mandate.

Sooooo, you're saying we need 100% compliance for masks to be effective?

KS Smitty 07-17-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15072688)
Sooooo, you're saying we need 100% compliance for masks to be effective?

Boy wouldn't that be something. I'm saying that I personally know people, maybe close to 50%, that have never and say they will never wear a mask so it's kind of hard to judge it's effectiveness.

splatbass 07-17-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15069312)
One of the advantages to living in AZ is not having to put up with overzealous Dim policies. Most of the time anyway. The stores have signs that say "Please help us observe COVID-19 restrictions" or whatever. in other words, they try to treat you like you're a real live adult, not some junky idiot from back East. Or SoCal.

Have no fear though, some stupid twat(s) will screw it up and make the powers-that-be try to enforce these guidelines. Then we'll see some interesting things.

Do you wear a seat belt?

Megatron96 07-17-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 15072938)
Do you wear a seat belt?

Do you carry a gun?

splatbass 07-17-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15072948)
Do you carry a gun?

No, why would I? I'm not anti-gun, but I have no need to carry one to go to Walmart or Safeway.

You didn't answer my question.

eDave 07-17-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Do you wear a seat belt?

Megatrons door signs are vastly different than the ones in my neighborhood.

Megatron96 07-17-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 15072950)
No, why would I? I'm not anti-gun, but I have no need to carry one to go to Walmart or Safeway.

You didn't answer my question.

https://arizdui.com/2-officers-injur...hoenix-suburb/
https://www.arizona-firearms.com/two...rt-suspect-run
<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P0SHb5y-7nU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/15vNhuHp8t4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YTvZen84DU4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YK2Ri_hjLhE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sorry, you were saying something about how you don't need to be armed to go to Wal-mart/Safeway?

Megatron96 07-17-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Do you wear a seat belt?

Actually, I'm just being a little snarky probably because I quit smoking a couple days ago.

To answer the question: i wear my seatbelt in my truck most of the time. Call it 90%. Rides to the mailbox down the street, to the grocery store, maybe not. Depends on the time of day. At work, I wear it every flight. Used to pop the shoulder belts right after TD though.

As I've reiterated many times before my work and my schedule aren't normal. I don't go to the store during normal shopping hours, so most of the time there's nearly no one there. When I go to work there's usually only one person I see in the half-hour or so before I take off. When I go to the gym (used to anyway) it was rare if there was more than three other people there.

So there's very little reason for me to wear a mask on an ordinary day. If I had a regular job/schedule maybe it would be different.

splatbass 07-17-2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15072984)

I'm sorry, you were saying something about how you don't need to be armed to go to Wal-mart/Safeway?

I live in one of the safest places in the country. Gun violence is very rare. I'll take my chances. I do not suffer from paranoia at all.

Megatron96 07-18-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 15073150)
I live in one of the safest places in the country. Gun violence is very rare. I'll take my chances. I do not suffer from paranoia at all.

Hahaha, I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me.

keg in kc 07-18-2020 12:18 PM

Today was the first time I saw literally everyone wearing them in Walmart. I expected a couple dissenters. This is Kansas after all.

eDave 07-18-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 15073150)

My neighborhood is nickname all white tukee. Yet just around the corner a guy got killed the other day by a cop while he was submitting. Granted, they were there for a domestic dispute and the guy answered the door with a gun. But shot as he started to kneel and submit.

splatbass 07-18-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15073624)
Hahaha, I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me.

If a lot of people say that to you you may want to consider that they may have a good point.

splatbass 07-18-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15073631)
My neighborhood is nickname all white tukee. Yet just around the corner a guy got killed the other day by a cop while he was submitting. Granted, they were there for a domestic dispute and the guy answered the door with a gun. But shot as he started to kneel and submit.

Sure, but exactly how does that affect me going to Safeway? The small amount of gun violence we have here is virtually all involving drugs or domestic violence. There is very little against innocent people just going about their business. Could it happen? Of course. I could also get hit by a bus. But I'm not living my life worrying about things that are that unlikely.

But COVID-19 is a much more real threat to me, since I take immunosuppressive drugs. I wear my mask.

eDave 07-18-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 15073676)
Sure, but exactly how does that affect me going to Safeway? The small amount of gun violence we have here is virtually all involving drugs or domestic violence. There is very little against innocent people just going about their business. Could it happen? Of course. I could also get hit by a bus. But I'm not living my life worrying about things that are that unlikely.

It doesn't man. I'm just trying to participate. You be you because you is you. I dig you. Don't die, you.

splatbass 07-18-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15073678)
It doesn't man. I'm just trying to participate. You be you because you is you. I dig you. Don't die, you.

Cool.

Megatron96 07-18-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 15073671)
If a lot of people say that to you you may want to consider that they may have a good point.

But they don't. They were wearing blinders, and then something ripped them off for them.

Most of those people say that to me during a defensive handgun class. Something like "I live in a nice quiet neighborhood, I never even thought about carrying a gun until the other day/last month/whatever when this terrible thing happened right down the street/at my local grocery store/Wal-Mart/in the parking structure at work/etc."

And I almost have to laugh because I used to say the same things. Currently I live in the safest town in the Phoenix area (probably), but I've lived in some ghetto places in STL, KS, Chicago, etc. And nearly everything in between.

And I've seen what high unemployment/social unrest will do to crime rates firsthand. I was living in a pretty safe area in north Glendale AZ back in 2009 and watched my area become more and more dangerous as unemployment rates worsened. But it wasn't until a woman was stabbed in broad day light at the grocery store in the parking lot I had just left not an hour earlier, that I realized that the idea "I'm immune to crime because I live in a good area" was an illusion.

Of course, now things are much different than they were in 2009. Violent crime has spiked over 44% since the advent of the virus nationwide. Classes are booked until after the New Year. Just a year ago I was practically begging people to try a class just to fill enough slots to make it worth renting the range, now they're upset because they're on a waiting list until Mar. 2021.

splatbass 07-18-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15073692)
But they don't. They were wearing blinders, and then something ripped them off for them.

Most of those people say that to me during a defensive handgun class. Something like "I live in a nice quiet neighborhood, I never even thought about carrying a gun until the other day/last month/whatever when this terrible thing happened right down the street/at my local grocery store/Wal-Mart/in the parking structure at work/etc."

And I almost have to laugh because I used to say the same things. Currently I live in the safest town in the Phoenix area (probably), but I've lived in some ghetto places in STL, KS, Chicago, etc. And nearly everything in between.
And I've seen what high unemployment/social unrest will do to crime rates firsthand. I was living in a pretty safe area in north Glendale AZ back in 2009 and watched my area become more and more dangerous as unemployment rates worsened. But it wasn't until a woman was stabbed in broad day light at the grocery store I had just left not an hour earlier, that I realized that the idea "I'm immune to crime because I live in a good area" was an illusion.

Of course, now things are much different than they were in 2009. Violent crime has spiked over 44% since the advent of the virus nationwide. Classes are booked until after the New Year. Just a year ago I was practically begging people to try a class just to fill enough slots to make it worth renting the range, now they're upset because they're on a waiting list until Mar. 2021.

I can't spend my life worrying over every unlikely event. Life is too short for that. I find it odd that you are more worried about gun violence than COVID, since you are far more likely to get COVID - especially since you take no precautions.

For me it is just the opposite. I'm high risk so you bet your ass I wear a mask when in public. But I've made it 58 years without being a victim of gun violence, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Oh, one more thing, concealed firearms are against the law here, except in very rare cases.

Megatron96 07-18-2020 01:31 PM

[QUOTE=splatbass;15073701]I can't spend my life worrying over every unlikely event. Life is too short for that. I find it odd that you are more worried about gun violence than COVID, since you are far more likely to get COVID - especially since you take no precautions.

For me it is just the opposite. I'm high risk so you bet your ass I wear a mask when in public. But I've made it 58 years without being a victim of gun violence, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Oh, one more thing, concealed firearms are against the law here, except in very rare cases.

I understand the math. Violent crime, while rare, is spiking almost 50% higher than before the virus. And a BG with a gun/knife is far more deadly than the virus. Also the virus has a consistent infection/death rate, both of which are pretty low for someone of my age and health. Add in the fact that I live a pretty low-risk type of lifestyle (don't have much interaction with people in general and certainly not for any extended period of time) makes it highly unlikely that wearing a mask for the few seconds I actually interact with humans would be meaningful.

Quote:

But I've made it 58 years without being a victim of gun violence, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.
The second or third most common excuse I hear at class. Usually followed by "and then this happened . . . which is why I decided to sign up for this class."

Quote:

That's too bad. Maybe you should look into what you can do about that. But I'd rather be alive and judged by 12, than dead and carried out in a box by 6.

splatbass 07-18-2020 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=Megatron96;15073725]
Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 15073701)
But I'd rather be alive and judged by 12, than dead and carried out in a box by 6.

Nice saying, but ridiculous. I follow the law. If you don't, then you are also a criminal and your opinion means no more to me than any other criminal.

Just don't come to my state and break our laws.

eDave 07-18-2020 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=splatbass;15073774]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15073725)

Nice saying, but ridiculous. I follow the law. If you don't, then you are also a criminal and your opinion means no more to me than any other criminal.

Just don't come to my state and break our laws.

Can't even freaking go to your state. Sucks cause I'd like to get away. Far away.

splatbass 07-18-2020 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=eDave;15073777]
Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 15073774)

Can't even freaking go to your state. Sucks cause I'd like to get away. Far away.

Yeah, right now we have a 14 day quarantine for anyone coming from outside the state (interisland travel is now allowed). Unfortunately some are breaking quarantine and putting our lives at risk. We have had a low number of cases because of our isolation, so letting in outsiders is risky. They were going to end the quarantine on Aug 1 for anyone that tests negative, but due to the increased number of cases on the mainland (in states where people don't wear masks or social distance as much) that has been put off until Sept.

It sucks economically since 50% of our economy is tourism, but I feel much safer knowing we are isolated from the mainland dumb****s that think it is a hoax.

KurtCobain 07-18-2020 04:36 PM

Well, I'm at worlds of fun right now and the masks are making it way hotter.

eDave 07-18-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 15073989)

Augh. I pull mine away from my face from the bottom to get some fresh air in there. I'm comfortable with that level of non compliance and I do it away from people. Hate the mask. But I'm also having a great deal of fun with it.

BigRedChief 07-18-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Anyone thats not a felon or mentally ill can get one here. Feel threatened, pull out your gun. Happens all the damn time.

In the last 35 years I've never been in a situation where someone pulled a gun on me, threatened me or the family or tried to rob me. Seems to me its like the old Seinfeld joke....if you are constantly having to get blood out of your clothes, laundry is probably not your biggest problem.

Chief Roundup 07-18-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

I can't spend my life worrying over every unlikely event. Life is too short for that. I find it odd that you are more worried about gun violence than COVID, since you are far more likely to get COVID - especially since you take no precautions.

Why does being prepared and knowledgeable equal being worried to a point that you can't enjoy life?
To me wearing a mask to protect yourself from what is a very low risk of exposure is not much different than carrying a gun to protect yourself from what is also low risk of gunfire.

Bugeater 07-18-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 15073989)

WELL YEAH IT'S THE HOTTEST ****ING DAY OF THE YEAR WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU

BigCatDaddy 07-18-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KS Smitty (Post 15072388)
The mandates haven't been followed by everyone though. It seems that is what has been and continues to be the main problem, not everyone is going to follow the mandate.

I agree. Mandates are pointless.

BigCatDaddy 07-18-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15073629)
Today was the first time I saw literally everyone wearing them in Walmart. I expected a couple dissenters. This is Kansas after all.

Yeah...it was the longest ****ing hour ever. Damn near had Walmart rage a few times..A few peeps almost went for rides in their carts. Good luck keeping these on kids in school

Chief Roundup 07-20-2020 04:53 PM

These showed up first thing this morning. I got them on ebay. They have the wire over the nose bridge. They don't fog my glasses. They are comfortable, as far as these masks go anyway. It is definitely easier to breathe. I got the PM 2.5 filters with them. I wore one at work today. I am surprised by how good it worked. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6cb67f729c.jpg

BigCatDaddy 07-20-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 15076908)
These showed up first thing this morning. I got them on ebay. They have the wire over the nose bridge. They don't fog my glasses. They are comfortable, as far as these masks go anyway. It is definitely easier to breathe. I got the PM 2.5 filters with them. I wore one at work today. I am surprised by how good it worked. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6cb67f729c.jpg

Is the black thing like a pee hole?

Chief Roundup 07-20-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 15076944)
Is the black thing like a pee hole?

What? It is a vent valve.

Shiver Me Timbers 07-20-2020 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Current Mask

Chief Roundup 08-10-2020 05:52 PM

Just got this one today finally.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2fdd57a50c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...492b8be680.jpg

FloridaMan88 08-10-2020 05:54 PM

New Zealand hasn’t had a single virus case in 100+ days and they are mask free.

Amazing.

Spott 08-10-2020 06:02 PM

Was at Universal City walk over the weekend and they are starting to ban the neck gaiters, bandanas and masks with filters on them. Disney has already done the same thing and insists that everyone be as hot and uncomfortable as possible. I just put my Chiefs bandana back on after entering the gate and no one said anything. Those masks that go around your ears just give me a headache from pulling the hell out of my ears after a few minutes of wearing them so I won’t wear that type of mask.

eDave 08-10-2020 06:15 PM

Im in North Carolina for a week and have only seen a handful of masks. Flying with one was miserable.

BigCatDaddy 08-10-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15108396)
Im in North Carolina for a week and have only seen a handful of masks. Flying with one was miserable.

There are no pussys in Flair Country.

Spott 08-10-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15108396)

I fly almost every weekend. Take some kind of food or drink with you on the plane or just order something on board so you can take the mask off for a while. I try to eat slow and get a window seat to look away from everyone while I’m eating.

ChiliConCarnage 08-10-2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 15108370)
New Zealand hasn’t had a single virus case in 100+ days and they are mask free.

Amazing.

Have basically no cases
Ban every country in the world from visiting your island (great for business and tourism!)
Citizens who return to be held against their will in "isolation or quarantine centers" until they've been back 14 days, passed a covid and temp check.

Amazing. Other than our cases are high, it's hard to understand why we haven't done this here!

Bearcat 08-10-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 15108441)
Have basically no cases
Ban every country in the world from visiting your island (great for business and tourism!)
Citizens who return to be held against their will in "isolation or quarantine centers" until they've been back 14 days, passed a covid and temp check.

Amazing. Other than our cases are high, it's hard to understand why we haven't done this here!

It's almost like masks had nothing to do with it.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/IbadywLDYT9oZ5apd0" width="480" height="288" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/Filmin-IbadywLDYT9oZ5apd0">via GIPHY</a></p>

FloridaMan88 08-10-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 15108441)
Have basically no cases

So travel bans DO work.

scho63 08-11-2020 02:06 AM

I've held up 4 grocery stores, raped 12 Girl Scouts and spent a weekend rioting with Antifa.

I say my mask is working out great!

FloridaMan88 08-11-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 15108782)
I've held up 4 grocery stores, raped 12 Girl Scouts and spent a weekend rioting with Antifa.

I say my mask is working out great!

I am old enough to remember when virtually every city/state in America had long standing anti-mask laws on the books.

I believe it was circa March 2020.

displacedinMN 08-15-2020 11:31 AM

. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3f8f109e92.jpg

Chiefshrink 08-15-2020 11:38 AM

The fact that the box that packages these masks states right on it that these masks will not prevent viruses is just a hoot !!! Why wear these at all then ? And explains Fauci's original position on masks and why he said it. "There is no need for everyone to wear a mask"(my paraphrase of course).

Pasta Little Brioni 08-15-2020 11:57 AM

They do basically nothing at all and make breathing a pain in the ass causing issues. But, complying and not being a whiny bitch about it