ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sporting KC Soccer Ratings down in the USA (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316258)

DaFace 07-16-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13631678)
Everyone has done a great job at keeping a troll busy for hours.

Well done.

Meh. Offseason and all.

lewdog 07-16-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631658)
Then closest options. For example, I could be a Nuggets or a Oklahoma City Fan since KC does not have a team. I chose Oklahoma City due to hating the Denver Broncos.

I make the rules. If you need to know them, just ask me.

This is great. Thanks for taking the time. Next question.

What justifies "connection" in order to root for a sports team?

lewdog 07-16-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13631678)
Everyone has done a great job at keeping a troll busy for hours.

Well done.

If you're talking about the OP, I'd like to rule that you can't consider someone with a sub 70 IQ a troll. They are in fact literally reeruned.

BWillie 07-16-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13631745)
This is great. Thanks for taking the time. Next question.

What justifies "connection" in order to root for a sports team?

Do you have a first generation relative from the area? If so, you are most likely exempt. If you lived or worked in said region for more than 6 years, 2 weeks and 3 days it is also acceptable.

If you have taken a shit at the Raytown Quik Trip I'll also allow it.

lewdog 07-16-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631786)
Do you have a first generation relative from the area? If so, you are most likely exempt. If you lived or worked in said region for more than 6 years, 2 weeks and 3 days it is also acceptable.

ROFL

Father raised in KC (3-18), although not born there (oh this is dicey!!!).

Grandparents season tickets holders of the Chiefs for about a decade in the 60's-early 70's.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-16-2018 09:44 PM

lol at Fox Sports

NJChiefsFan 07-16-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631042)
Watching it is one thing, being a fan of a particular team. Don't like it. Support your community. Support localism. Just like I hate the guy who loves the Golden State Warriors, the New England Patriots, and the Houston Astros. Pick a ****ing place, and stick do it.

So basically you want to punch me in the face for being a Chiefs fan and not a Jets/Giants fan.

Well I guess sometimes I want to punch myself in the face for being a Chiefs fan too.

jd1020 07-16-2018 09:50 PM

Sucks for all the Rams fans I guess. Lots of bruised faces in St. Louis.

CoMoChief 07-16-2018 10:09 PM

American sports are the only sports that matter.

Soccer is a 3rd world sport and it's unbelievably boring.

Would rather watch paint dry.

People say...Oooo you gotta go to a SKC game THE ATMOSPHERE OMG!

**** no I don't. You could give me the best tix in the house, all you can eat/drink pass for free and even limo my ass to/from Sporting Park and I still wouldn't go.

If you wear skinny jeans, blog regularly at Starbucks, love being trendy and think your cool because you've tried all of the $10 craft beers in town and supported the KC Streetcar, then maybe SKC is for you.

chiefzilla1501 07-16-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13631866)
American sports are the only sports that matter.

Soccer is a 3rd world sport and it's unbelievably boring.

Would rather watch paint dry.

People say...Oooo you gotta go to a SKC game THE ATMOSPHERE OMG!

**** no I don't. You could give me the best tix in the house, all you can eat/drink pass for free and even limo my ass to/from Sporting Park and I still wouldn't go.

If you wear skinny jeans, blog regularly at Starbucks, love being trendy and think your cool because you've tried all of the $10 craft beers in town and supported the KC Streetcar, then maybe SKC is for you.

Don't know what skc is like. But MLS games, if you sit in the supporter section it's a bunch of drunks, cursing, yelling vulgar stuff at the players, loud drums and constant chants and heckling, and sometimes smoke bombs and streamers. I don't think a live game is what you think it is. And that's just MLS.

MarkDavis'Haircut 07-17-2018 06:36 AM

I understand where BWillie is coming from but as mentioned professional teams aren't bound by geography so it is highly presumptuous to assume fans should abide by a circle on a map.

Interestingly, an arena football league had a rule where at least three players had to hail from a radius near the franchise.

listopencil 07-17-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631134)
Oh yeah, your mom and dad came from England or Croatia? Or whatever. Fine. You have a common link lineage. If your great great great great grandparents came from France, and your 10% French or something like that then give me a break.

I think the players who are American through and through like Chris Kaman and go play for Team Germany in the Olympics, or for a different team in the World Cup are pieces of dog shit. Just like I thought it was complete bullshit that the UNITED STATES SOCCER TEAM hired a GERMAN COACH. What kind of shit is that?

The Olympics are garbage. They should put every single participant in a giant pool. Then each country gets to pick an athlete one at a time. Once every athlete is picked, make them all play ice hockey and NFL football only. Then cancel the Olympics. The next year, do the same thing to the World Cup. Boom. Problem solved.

FloridaMan88 07-17-2018 09:08 AM

So much for soccer being the "game of the future" in America:

Youth Soccer Participation Has Fallen Significantly in America

Eleazar 07-17-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631256)
I do. And I don't like it. If it's is a pro team, different. Fine. But a NATIONAL TEAM. EVERYONE better be from that country, otherwise, why do we even do it?

Half the countries in the world probably have coaches who aren't of that nationality, Jethro

chiefzilla1501 07-17-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 13632150)
So much for soccer being the "game of the future" in America:

Youth Soccer Participation Has Fallen Significantly in America

What a shock. Soccer youth participation has declined because we're pricing low income soccer players out? Someone ruining sports to make a few extra bucks? You don't say....

Other countries thrive at soccer because all you need is a ball and a goal. In America, you need to be part of a traveling league built for the rich. What a surprise.

FloridaMan88 07-17-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13632168)
What a shock. Soccer youth participation has declined because we're pricing low income soccer players out? Someone ruining sports to make a few extra bucks? You don't say....

Other countries thrive at soccer because all you need is a ball and a goal. In America, you need to be part of a traveling league built for the rich. What a surprise.

Also those same potential "low income soccer players" in America would rather play basketball and football.

loochy 07-17-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 13632183)
Also those same potential "low income soccer players" in America would rather play basketball and football.

THEN WE CNT WIN CUZ TEH ATHLEETZ ARENT BEST LBRONG JAMZ WOULD BE BEST SOCR PLAYR IN WORLD

WUT IF STEVEDEBERG PALYED SOCCR!?

chiefzilla1501 07-17-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 13632183)

I don't think anyone's suggesting soccer will take over America. Of course many of them will pick other sports. But low income soccer players are severely underserved in the US. Especially when you consider how low a % of Latinos are playing organized youth soccer in the US.

notorious 07-17-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13632204)
I don't think anyone's suggesting soccer will take over America. Of course many of them will pick other sports. But low income soccer players are severely underserved in the US. Especially when you consider how low a % of Latinos are playing organized youth soccer in the US.

It’s probably around 90-95% Latino on teams in southwest Kansas.

burt 07-17-2018 09:53 AM

Once again...many of you prove what idiots you are.(yeah, I'm one too, but not on this subject). 1) The OP is very misleading. But someone of intelligence brought up the fact that many games were while many of us were at work. 2) The MLS is NOT as good as many foreign leagues, yet it picks up in popularity yearly. 3) Sissy sport? No pads! I have broken 8 bones playing that sissy sport.

ChiefGator 07-17-2018 10:14 AM

I don't care about the World Cup if the U.S. isn't in it.. seems pretty obvious and many people feel that way.

notorious 07-17-2018 10:38 AM

I haven’t ever heard a person call soccer a “sissy” sport.

I have heard it called boring, though.

Mahomes 07-17-2018 10:40 AM

Any sport is boring if you don’t understand the fine details. Croatia vs England is a perfect example of a great game

Ming the Merciless 07-17-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 13630632)
Fix the product and actually qualify for the World Cup and ratings will go up.

this,

theres no reason we shoudlnt qualify every cycle except total failure on our part..

total failure = shit product = less interest

what a bummer.....major damage to soccer here in the USA.

Theres always room for another sport, but not one where we have a shit product

Strongside 07-17-2018 10:49 AM

I actually got really into the WC this year for whatever reason, even though I didn't have a horse in the race.

Something cool about teams competing for the pride of their entire nation, not just a smaller fanbase.

My interest in Soccer has certainly increased in the last 2-3 years. Wouldn't call myself a huge fan by any means, but I can watch the sport with interest now at least.

NewChief 07-17-2018 11:06 AM

I'm shocked! Ratings are down in a World Cup contest for which the US didn't qualify? Who would have thunk it?

chiefzilla1501 07-17-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13632213)
It’s probably around 90-95% Latino on teams in southwest Kansas.

Maybe it's fine in some pockets. But plenty of studies show that soccer is catered to those with $100k+ income. It's totally ridiculous that it costs several thousand to play in a league where all you need is a ball and a field. That's a huge miss and helps explain why our soccer pipeline sucks that has little to do with soccer not being popular.

Bewbies 07-17-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13631275)
Yeah, I flipped to an Atlanta match a couple weeks ago and noticed the stadium looked packed. MLS needs to try to steal some upper-tier in-their-prime players from Europe. Until then a ton of people are going to follow Euro teams. My dad's from Munich so I root for Bayern. I don't see myself following any MLS teams until they up their game. It would be like getting super into some AA baseball team. The stadiums filling up is a good sign, though.

Atlanta United is EASILY the best ticket in town here. And is by far the most fun sporting experience Atlanta offers.

And the Braves and Falcons have pretty rabid fanbases too. Nobody gives a shit about the Hawks. LMAO

Bearcat 07-17-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 13632382)
I'm shocked! Ratings are down in a World Cup contest for which the US didn't qualify? Who would have thunk it?

Don't forget the 7am start times.

jd1020 07-17-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13632307)
I haven’t ever heard a person call soccer a “sissy” sport.

I have heard it called boring, though.

Might not be sissy, but when Tennis starts mocking the "injuries" you know its bad

https://content.jwplatform.com/previ...262b5d91f96b84

Titty Meat 07-17-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 13632382)

Yeah people care so much about a tournament played every 4 years they didnt even bother to tune in! Its growing in America!

Deberg_1990 07-17-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13632168)

That is not true in my experience. My son plays on a competitive, traveling select team. I know for a fact Not everyone pays the same rates. If a kids family is lower income but he’s talented, they will pay lower fees. Nobody wants to miss out on a talented kid.

OKchiefs 07-17-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13630667)
Soccer is gay

And you're white trash and a homophobe.

Titty Meat 07-17-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13633150)
And you're white trash and a homophobe.

Soccer is gay

GloucesterChief 07-17-2018 06:04 PM

Hockey does everything that soccer does except better.

Shag 07-17-2018 06:25 PM

Soccer haters are as bad as vegans and crossfitters.

Titty Meat 07-17-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13633224)
Soccer fans are as bad as vegans and crossfitters.

Fix

Rams Fan 07-17-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 13631847)
Sucks for all the Rams fans I guess. Lots of bruised faces in St. Louis.

Oh hi.

Shag 07-17-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13633241)
Fix

Good one.

Kyle DeLexus 07-17-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631658)
Then closest options. For example, I could be a Nuggets or a Oklahoma City Fan since KC does not have a team. I chose Oklahoma City due to hating the Denver Broncos.

I make the rules. If you need to know them, just ask me.

So you didn't have an NBA team prior to the Thunder going to OKC?

scho63 07-17-2018 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13630623)
Based on the World Cup, soccer is flopping. The sport is taking a dive.

First answer nailed it!

No need to dilly dilly dally dally.

chiefzilla1501 07-17-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13633090)
That is not true in my experience. My son plays on a competitive, traveling select team. I know for a fact Not everyone pays the same rates. If a kids family is lower income but he’s talented, they will pay lower fees. Nobody wants to miss out on a talented kid.

Hopefully you're right. Have a buddy who used to coach. He's told me you would not believe how many parents will bitch and moan about their kids not playing, even if they suck. And the politics of sitting the rich kid. But that's really not even the biggest problem. It's good that they're bringing inner city kids out of the neighborhoods to play, but there needs to be a shitload more inner city youth development. It's just mind boggling that for a sport that's so inexpensive to play that we can be this bad at filling the pipeline with this talent.

Dartgod 07-17-2018 09:17 PM

Billay doesn't like soccer so he starts a thread about soccer.

Billay = Dipshit troll

aturnis 07-17-2018 09:21 PM

Has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the tournament was played on the other side of the world making it nearly impossible to catch a live game. :rolleyes:

Sure, the casual fan doesn't watch b/c the U.S. isn't playing, but the time games were played was a huge factor, as were the early exits of superstars and powerhouses.

PunkinDrublic 07-17-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13631916)
Don't know what skc is like. But MLS games, if you sit in the supporter section it's a bunch of drunks, cursing, yelling vulgar stuff at the players, loud drums and constant chants and heckling, and sometimes smoke bombs and streamers. I don't think a live game is what you think it is. And that's just MLS.

A bunch of wannabe euro hooligans.

Param 07-18-2018 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631201)
I'm trying to like soccer, but dear god is it hard. Part of soccer's popularity is it is what always was. It's what the Rest of the World grew up with and everyone told them to love it. If you grew up with a sport entrenched in your culture, you will probably be a follower. Just like baseball for us. Baseball IMO is a rather boring sport, and I acknowledge it and yet still follow it. Fortunately in the US we have other options as well. I give alot of credit to nations that create their own sport and get a massive following like Australian Rules football. Lots of respect there. Going their own way.

Damn you're ****ing dumb.

You admit to following a sport you give no shits about.

What a waste of time and energy

Saulbadguy 07-18-2018 06:32 AM

I like football more than soccer - but I do have quite a bit more fun at Sporting KC games than Chiefs games.

redfan 07-18-2018 07:14 AM

Still not as gay as wrestling.

listopencil 07-18-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13633205)
Hockey does everything that soccer does except better.

^

NewChief 07-18-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13633299)
Hopefully you're right. Have a buddy who used to coach. He's told me you would not believe how many parents will bitch and moan about their kids not playing, even if they suck. And the politics of sitting the rich kid. But that's really not even the biggest problem. It's good that they're bringing inner city kids out of the neighborhoods to play, but there needs to be a shitload more inner city youth development. It's just mind boggling that for a sport that's so inexpensive to play that we can be this bad at filling the pipeline with this talent.

It really depends on where you are playing. You're right that a lot of select teams are dominated by wealthy suburbanite white kids. That's a holdover, imo, from the days of soccer being seen as a "rich" prep school type sport. In areas with large Hispanic populations, though, the sport is absolutely dominated by those kids. They may not all play in travel teams, but they're playing in local leagues that are highly competitive, and the high school with the most of those kids on their teams are the ones who seem to dominate.

There are two cities in my area with two high schools. In both, one school is rich and white and the other school is poorer and hispanic. In both, the poor hispanic school kicks the shit out of the rich white school in soccer. Football on the other hand...

Reerun_KC 07-18-2018 11:34 AM

Bitch about soccer. But watches baseball or the baseball all star game.

jd1020 07-18-2018 11:57 AM

Soccer ratings in the USA would probably rise if they added more commercials, because judging by every other sport we just love watching commercials.

Valiant 07-18-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13630951)
Every time I see an American person wearing an EPL jersey, I just want to punch them in the face. Just like if I see a European person wearing an NBA jersey. You have teams to root for from your home, how about ya just do that?

Umm, why would you hate on people supporting the top level of sports?

Titty Meat 07-18-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13633364)
Billay doesn't like soccer so he starts a thread about soccer.

Billay = Dipshit troll

You arent very bright and have behavior issues. It's amazing you're a mod. My view of soccer is irrelevant to the link posted in the OP.

Serious question: did you happen to go to school in rural Missouri? You intelligence certainly reflects it.

BWillie 07-18-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 13634403)

Do you respect the Red Sox fan from Blue Springs who swarm into Kaufman stadium every year...yet they've never been to Boston. Ever. I do not.

As the great Al Pacino said in Any Given Sunday - "It has to be more than about winning".

Bearcat 07-18-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13634452)
Do you respect the Red Sox fan from Blue Springs who swarm into Kaufman stadium every year...yet they've never been to Boston. Ever. I do not.

As the great Al Pacino said in Any Given Sunday - "It has to be more than about winning".

Oh, you must believe in "fan loyalty," helping millionaires' shitty teams earn money for over a century.

BWillie 07-18-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13634454)
Oh, you must believe in "fan loyalty," helping millionaires' shitty teams earn money for over a century.

True fan right here.

Valiant 07-18-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13634452)

If they have a reason for rooting for them, no.

Everyone embraced the Japanese guy who was a royals fan no problem.

Who is your NBA team? If you have any answer other than none it is wrong by your logic.

BWillie 07-18-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 13634474)
If they have a reason for rooting for them, no.

Everyone embraced the Japanese guy who was a royals fan no problem.

Who is your NBA team? If you have any answer other than none it is wrong by your logic.

Japanese guy should be fan of his home Japanese Baseball squad. Not Royals. That is against the rules. BTW - think he was Korean. Good news - there is a Korean Baseball league! http://eng.koreabaseball.com/

As far as NBA, I really wasn't a fan until Oklahoma City got a team. I did not allow myself to root for the Nuggets, because I hate the Denver Broncos and Chiefs have a rivalry with them. I've always like the NBA. Nothing wrong with going to a game. But buying jerseys, expressing you are a fan of said team out of no relevance to geography or family ties is ridiculous.

Oklahoma City is the closest team. If you root for the closest team to your demographic area, that is all that I ask. Just don't root for a team because "they win and are popular". I assure you, if Kansas City ever got an NBA team I will renounce my quasi OKC fandon in a moments notice, even if they go 10-72 every year. Have a ****ing backbone for god sakes.

If you have any other questions regarding to allowable fandom, please don't hesitate to ask me. I'm the Czar of such subject.

Thanks

KCTitus 07-18-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13631119)
Only 3 teams [4 at times] have my enduring interest. Chiefs, Jayhawks, ManU [and Royals].
I also have more ManU jerseys than any other 'kit' unless you count my 1/2 dozen Jayhawk 'tees'

ManU fan, myself...do you like Mourinho as their manager? I love the guy, but many dislike him.

I started following ManU back in the days of Eric Cantona...hard to follow back then when there was no EPL on TV and internet streaming was near impossible.

I love the fact that I can see every game now. Im glad they dont put ManU behind their paywall on NBCSN...

Dartgod 07-18-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13634424)
You arent very bright and have behavior issues. It's amazing you're a mod. My view of soccer is irrelevant to the link posted in the OP.

Serious question: did you happen to go to school in rural Missouri? You intelligence certainly reflects it.

Questioning my intelligence. ROFL

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 07-18-2018 10:50 PM

I never got why this is such a big deal for some people. If someone follows a team year-in and year-out, win or lose, who cares whether or not they have any connections to the city/region?

I know people that latched on to players on the other side of the country as a kid and became lifelong fans of the team. That doesn't bother me so long as they stick with the team.

Now people like my jackass buddy who was a diehard Lakers fan ten years ago, and is now a Golden State fan, those guys I have a problem with.

And before some genius says, "That's what I would expect a Sox fan in Denver to say", my family is from New England originally.

GloucesterChief 07-18-2018 11:08 PM

The only NFL game I have been to in person was in Seattle, to see the Chiefs play. I started watching football when Dad was stationed and Omaha and KC was the local team.

That is why I am also a Mariners fan and a Devils fan. Dad was stationed where they were the local team when I started following the sport. Well, the Devils were just on TV all the time so I became a fan and the closest team, the Caps, stunk at that point in time and were never on TV.

SuperBowl4 07-18-2018 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13634812)
The only NFL game I have been to in person was in Seattle, to see the Chiefs play. I started watching football when Dad was stationed and Omaha and KC was the local team.

That is why I am also a Mariners fan and a Devils fan. Dad was stationed where they were the local team when I started following the sport. Well, the Devils were just on TV all the time so I became a fan and the closest team, the Caps, stunk at that point in time and were never on TV.

NJChiefsFan 07-19-2018 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13634812)

Yeah I live and die with KC as much as anyone else. I'm a Chiefs fan til I die. Just because you don't root for a local team doesn't mean you were chasing winning or hopping on some bandwagon. It's natural to want to watch the best players in the world.

If the PGA Tour was not around and the European Tour was all that existed, I'm supposed to only care about the Web.com tour and it's players? Hell yeah on the Devils, btw.

BWillie 07-19-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13634900)
Yeah I live and die with KC as much as anyone else. I'm a Chiefs fan til I die. Just because you don't root for a local team doesn't mean you were chasing winning or hopping on some bandwagon. It's natural to want to watch the best players in the world.

If the PGA Tour was not around and the European Tour was all that existed, I'm supposed to only care about the Web.com tour and it's players? Hell yeah on the Devils, btw.

Being a fan of the LEAGUE is different than being fan of a TEAM. No issues with someone liking the EPL so they can watch the best soccer in the world. When they start being emotionally attached to Manchester United, wear their jerseys and say "we", then we have a problem.

Being a golf fan is general fandom, and acceptable. You can also just be an NFL or NBA fan in general, as long as you are not emotionally attached to a given team outside one's region. I'm glad I could clear that up for you.

Shag 07-19-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13631786)

As a kid, I went St Louis -> Omaha -> KC -> Des Moines, all before 3rd grade. After college, 18 years in Minneapolis. Now in San Diego. Who am I authorized to root for in the 4 major sports?

loochy 07-19-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13635211)
Being a fan of the LEAGUE is different than being fan of a TEAM. No issues with someone liking the EPL so they can watch the best soccer in the world. When they start being emotionally attached to Manchester United, wear their jerseys and say "we", then we have a problem.

We have no problem.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13635211)
Being a golf fan is general fandom, and acceptable. You can also just be an NFL or NBA fan in general, as long as you are not emotionally attached to a given team outside one's region. I'm glad I could clear that up for you.

Thanks for telling people what to do. I'm sure they were quite lost without your sage guidance.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie 07-19-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13635225)
As a kid, I went St Louis -> Omaha -> KC -> Des Moines, all before 3rd grade. After college, 18 years in Minneapolis. Now in San Diego. Who am I authorized to root for in the 4 major sports?

Hi Shag,

I'm glad you asked. Since you grew up in both KC and STL, you are allowed to pick MLB between the Royals and Cardinals or the Rams & Chiefs in NFL. You are not allowed to change allegiances once you have acquired at least two bobble heads or two articles of clothing from said team. Under no circumstances are you able to be a Cub's fan unless you spent at least 51% of your childhood in Des Moines.

How long have you lived in San Diego? Either way, since you grew up entirely in Midwest, this bars you from being a fan of San Diego teams. The only allowable NBA team is the Timberwolves.

So you have to be a fan of KC/STL sports + Minnesota Timberwolves. It really is that simple. Good luck.

Love BWillie

Shag 07-19-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13635234)
Hi Shag,

I'm glad you asked. Since you grew up in both KC and STL, you are allowed to pick MLB between the Royals and Cardinals or the Rams & Chiefs in NFL. You are not allowed to change allegiances once you have acquired at least two bobble heads or two articles of clothing from said team. Under no circumstances are you able to be a Cub's fan unless you spent at least 51% of your childhood in Des Moines.

How long have you lived in San Diego? Either way, since you grew up entirely in Midwest, this bars you from being a fan of San Diego teams. The only allowable NBA team is the Timberwolves.

So you have to be a fan of KC/STL sports + Minnesota Timberwolves. It really is that simple. Good luck.

Love BWillie

Dear BWillie,

Thank you for your insightful reply - it's good to finally understand my expected fandom. Thankfully, as luck would have it, I've fallen within the established guidelines. However, you've failed to address the second most important major sporting league - the NHL. My Wild fandom hangs in the balance.

Nervously awaiting your reply,
Shag

lewdog 07-19-2018 07:24 PM

What if you're a 30 something, born and raised in KC. You realize the Chiefs have always sucked and you don't want to support a losing ****ing franchise anymore. What then?

aturnis 07-19-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 13634403)

Why would you support the Chiefs when the high school down the road has a team?

Titty Meat 07-19-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13636005)
What if you're a 30 something, born and raised in KC. You realize the Chiefs have always sucked and you don't want to support a losing ****ing franchise anymore. What then?

You're gay

BWillie 07-20-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13636005)

Then you get the chair. http://yac-factory.org/uploads/incre..._SXS_19876.jpg

OKchiefs 07-20-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13636168)
You're gay

You're the biggest closet homosexual on this board. I bet you have a corncob up your ass right now.

Titty Meat 07-20-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13636794)
You're the biggest closet homosexual on this board. I bet you have a corncob up your ass right now.

Someone come get this fragile pillowbiter

Baby Lee 08-16-2018 12:49 PM

Can we talk Wayne Rooney?
Dude is on a roll.
I know people aren't hep on soccer, but this play has been sticking with me all week.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ARE YOU KIDDING US, <a href="https://twitter.com/WayneRooney?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@WayneRooney</a>????? AMAZING!!!!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DCvORL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DCvORL</a> <a href="https://t.co/Iys5sJBDOs">https://t.co/Iys5sJBDOs</a></p>&mdash; Major League Soccer (@MLS) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1028827728298954752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fast break, goalie up on offense. Old man tracks it down and has the composure to lob in a perfect strike. Amazing play whatever level it happens on.

But he's turning a moment into a run

https://deadspin.com/old-man-wayne-r...mls-1828381513

Those who paid attention know, Wayne is as close to my spirit animal as there is in sports. Good to see him continue to thrive.

loochy 08-16-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13676938)
Can we talk Wayne Rooney?
Dude is on a roll.
I know people aren't hep on soccer, but this play has been sticking with me all week.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ARE YOU KIDDING US, <a href="https://twitter.com/WayneRooney?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@WayneRooney</a>????? AMAZING!!!!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DCvORL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DCvORL</a> <a href="https://t.co/Iys5sJBDOs">https://t.co/Iys5sJBDOs</a></p>&mdash; Major League Soccer (@MLS) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1028827728298954752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fast break, goalie up on offense. Old man tracks it down and has the composure to lob in a perfect strike. Amazing play whatever level it happens on.

But he's turning a moment into a run

https://deadspin.com/old-man-wayne-r...mls-1828381513

Those who paid attention know, Wayne is as close to my spirit animal as there is in sports. Good to see him continue to thrive.

That's some awful footballing.

1.) How in the blue hell did the Orlando guy on the break not avoid that tackle? I mean WTF? He could have done a million things differently and instead he just keeps going straight into the tackle. A pro level player should NOT be stuffed right there.

2.) Sure, Rooney made a nice cross....but it was a lob that went 40 yards slowly in the air with 3 on 4 in favor of the D. None of them could even get up and challenge strong in the air? That attempted header on d was WEAK.

3.) WTF was the keeper doing? He was just standing in no man's land while the header was struck.

4.) For the celebration, the loser forward didn't run over to Rooney and give him props for a great set up. No, he jumps into the stands like he did all the work. F that guy.

What IS awesome is that someone like Rooney, an older, very well paid, very accomplished player decided to hustle balls out on D more than anyone else on the team at that point. THAT is awesome.

banecat 08-16-2018 01:19 PM

Is the world cup still happening?

Baby Lee 08-16-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13676979)
What IS awesome is that someone like Rooney, an older, very well paid, very accomplished player decided to hustle balls out on D more than anyone else on the team at that point. THAT is awesome.

For me, it shows the entertainment value soccer allows in taking advantage of opportunity.

The fluidity of soccer and the inherent difficulty of the task [doing everything with your feet with 11 opponents on the pitch] means there's perhaps the biggest chasm between sensing a weakness and doing the exact right thing to take advantage.

The forward may have ended up making a poor effort to maintain the ball, but you still have to act with resolve with no one behind you to win the possession.

The inswinger may have been easy to defend in an optimal situation, but you still have to have the balls and presence of mind to pull the trigger with precise placement and timing. The slightest mistake wastes every ounce of that great effort you just expended.

Part of the 'fairness' of soccer is that it's always a team effort. Great teammates don't automatically make your job easier, nor does inferior opponents.

Soccer isn't as clear-cut a gameplan as other sports. You can't count on lobbing it to Lebron in the paint, or heaving it to Tyreek down the sideline, where the odds say physical talent and training creates an near-automatic win. It's not even like golf where the objective is a static whole in the ground that you can practice until you are nearly guaranteed to achieve it.