ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Hewitt for DC Anyone?: Current Secondary Coach of the Ravens (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320853)

chiefforlife 01-23-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14067506)
If there is ANY team in football that is less 'win now' than we are, I'd like to hear about them. Because even the teams that are completely lost at the moment need to start winning some damn games to rebuild their organization. Or they just be in a 'win never' stage because hell, if you don't have a QB you're largely irrelevant anyway.

We have a 23 year old MVP at quarterback. Yes, I am aware that he'll soon cost money but the reason he'll cost that much money is because literally every team in the NFL would switch places with us and GLADLY pay him that money to have them running the show for them.

This isn't a situation where we're running into the possibility of having to extend Mariota at twice his actual value because we're scared of having nothing at the position. We will be paying top of the market prices for the top of the market player at the most important position in pro sports. Okay - and?

We can win any season for the next decade. And if breaking in a young new DC takes more time than we thought but yields dividends for the next 5 years, so be it. You're advocating putting duct tape on a hole in the hull so we can limp around for a bit and hope to get to port on time. I'm saying dry dock it, fix the damn hull outright and even if we can't make up enough time to save that delivery, we may have a half dozen more that we're better off for because of it.

And I'm just completely unwilling to concede that some of the brightest young defensive minds in football can't come in here and 'find their sea legs' by the end of a 17 week regular season after having an entire off-season to get things kicked off.

Your approach here is is just completely wrongheaded, IMO.

It isnt my approach, if the Spags hire is correct, it is what i believe the Chiefs are doing and possibly why.
With just a few steps forward we are in the Superbowl.
If a brand new DC isnt able to do any better for a year or two, we may have a completely different team by then.
I agree it seems short sighted but the only explanation is that they are looking at the short term fix.

DJ's left nut 01-23-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 14067520)
Hiring a young guy and say he turns this crap D around. He will get a HC job in 2 years.

Or you can just hire Bob Sutton and see him never do well enough to be considered for a gig.

Shit, Vic Fangio just got a job and he's ancient. When it comes to DCs, teams are less inclined to consider them for coaching gigs and when they do they don't seem to mind if they're older. If someone snipes our DC, it will be because we at least went to the Super Bowl and did so with a hell of a defense as part of the package.

And frankly, if that happens with Spagnuolo, there's absolutely no reason to believe that some team won't view him in the same light they saw Mike Zimmer or Vic Fangio and hire him as a coach anyway.

If "oh no, he might do well and we'd lose him" is the reason you don't want to hire someone one...maybe find a better reason.

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Hiring a young guy and say he turns this crap D around. He will get a HC job in 2 years.

Exactly right! You want to hire young HC talent that has the ability to be a HC someday.

This is how you win Playoff Games and Super Bowls...

Not rehashing NFL trash because you know Chief fan and all...

DJ's left nut 01-23-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 14067548)
Exactly right! You want to hire young HC talent that has the ability to be a HC someday.

This is how you win Playoff Games and Super Bowls...

Not rehashing NFL trash because you know Chief fan and all...

Yeah. But then he'd leave after we finally get to the Super Bowl and clearly that would just be awful.

dirk digler 01-23-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14067542)
Or you can just hire Bob Sutton and see him never do well enough to be considered for a gig.

Shit, Vic Fangio just got a job and he's ancient. When it comes to DCs, teams are less inclined to consider them for coaching gigs and when they do they don't seem to mind if they're older. If someone snipes our DC, it will be because we at least went to the Super Bowl and did so with a hell of a defense as part of the package.

And frankly, if that happens with Spagnuolo, there's absolutely no reason to believe that some team won't view him in the same light they saw Mike Zimmer or Vic Fangio and hire him as a coach anyway.

If "oh no, he might do well and we'd lose him" is the reason you don't want to hire someone one...maybe find a better reason.

Not that it would be a reason to hire Spags but I doubt he will ever get a chance to be a hc again. Usually if you suck twice at being hc that is it.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-23-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14067553)
Yeah. But then he'd leave after we finally get to the Super Bowl and clearly that would just be awful.

6 inches from going to the Super Bowl with Sutton. Andy isn’t gonna hire a young person to run his D. Andy wants no part of that side of ball that’s his MO. Look I would love someone young and up and coming just not gonna happen with a Andy Reid coach team.

DJ's left nut 01-23-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 14067557)
Not that it would be a reason to hire Spags but I doubt he will ever get a chance to be a hc again. Usually if you suck twice at being hc that is it.

But I've been assured that neither of those times should be held against him because the Rams were in chaos and Bountygate voids all piss-poor returns.

Near as I can tell, none of his failings over the last decade are actually his fault. So surely the league will see things the same way.

The Franchise 01-23-2019 02:47 PM

This is the guy I want but I don’t see it happening. I’ll be shocked if it does.

FloridaMan88 01-23-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Andy has used that strategy with great success on offense, hiring up and coming/innovative guys to be his OC/QB Coach.

Not sure why he has to go the total opposite direction on defense and hire a dinosaur.

chiefforlife 01-23-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14067572)
Andy has used that strategy with great success on offense, hiring up and coming/innovative guys to be his OC/QB Coach.

Not sure why he has to go the total opposite direction on defense and hire a dinosaur.

Thats because Andy is a offensive genius and can bring the offensive guys along.

No one on D to do that.

The Franchise 01-23-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14067572)

Because Andy can control the offensive guys and help them out. He can't do that on defense because he doesn't know the defense. His best seasons were when he had Jim Johnson and Johnson ran the defense.

dirk digler 01-23-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14067567)
But I've been assured that neither of those times should be held against him because the Rams were in chaos and Bountygate voids all piss-poor returns.

Near as I can tell, none of his failings over the last decade are actually his fault. So surely the league will see things the same way.

you got me there :)

Jerm 01-23-2019 02:52 PM

He'd def. be my first choice if we went the first timer route and the more I read about him, yeah he should probably be the choice..

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14067553)

Just horrible I tell you... He might mess up someones jersey sales or parking lot bbq....

FloridaMan88 01-23-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14067586)
Because Andy can control the offensive guys and help them out. He can't do that on defense because he doesn't know the defense. His best seasons were when he had Jim Johnson and Johnson ran the defense.

Andy needs to get past the idea that he can only trust DC's with significant previous experience to serve in the "HC of the defense" role.

Bob Sutton had 40 years of experience when the Chiefs hired him and how did that work out.

Also if you bring in an up and coming guy to be DC and he leaves to become a HC in two years, you trust that he will build a quality defensive coaching staff (assuming Andy allows the new DC to have input on building his own defensive coaching staff), so that there are candidates to promote from within.