ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs’ running game seeks answers following brutal effort vs. Steelers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310892)

The Franchise 10-17-2017 09:45 AM

No way should ****ing Erving be in the starting lineup this week. How long has Ehinger been back now? He has to be close to starting. Move either Witzmann to RG or put Ehinger at RG.

Eleazar 10-17-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13157847)
Why does this seem to happen a lot with this team? We can't run against a shitty run defense. Can't get pressure on the QB against a shitty O-line?

Can anyone explain that, besides "because Chiefs"?

We get outschemed and outcoached in every big game against a quality team. That's why.

BlackOp 10-17-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13157824)
I was just about to ask that myself. No jet sweeps to Tyreek, no shovel passes to Kelce...it seems like the offense went vanilla about two games ago.

I noticed that too...at least against the Steelers. I'm not sure if was due to losing Conely/Wilson or game planning for both the Raiders/Pittsburgh. I would think KC would prioritize beating the Raiders as they are divisional.

3 games in 11 days is a ruff roll and sudden injuries complicated it...this was the Chiefs toughest stretch.

KC definitely didn't use much misdirection on Sunday...curious if it was intentional.

ptlyon 10-17-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13157869)
We get outschemed and outcoached in every big game against a quality team. That's why.

BAM

Rain Man 10-17-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13157862)
It also helps the run game if run plays are actually called. How many were there in the first half?

I don't think we had the ball in the first half. The Steelers won the time of possession 30:00 to 0:00. At least, that was my impression.

gold_and_red 10-17-2017 10:07 AM

With a patchwork interior OL the game plan should never prioritize running the ball and never into the teeth of their D. Steelers weakness is their secondary as shown in the 4th quarter where we had multiple chances to win the game. Those WR injuries really messed up with a normally creative and pass happy Andy. I really think we should have gone max protect and took a few intermediate and deep shots to have their LBs back off at the very start. Later in the game maybe the LBs were playing a softer coverage and every play it looked like our WRs would score.

carcosa 10-17-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13157826)
I wish we would have at least tried. It's bullshit that Andy is so stupid to not use the Kelce option with Tyreek and Hunt in the backfield on that 4th down try.

that play literally has not failed one time all season.

Sheeeet. I didn't even think of that. Would have been good to try on 3rd down, too. Instead of making Kareem run into a wall for a yard.

ToxSocks 10-17-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 13157818)
Is it just me or have we forgotten all the motion and misdirection stuff that worked so well for us early in the season? Wouldn't that help open some holes up? Sometimes it seems like as soon as something proves successful, Andy hates doing it anymore. The ultimate not-broke-fixer.

They've been moving away from it little by little each week it seems. I think a big part of it is that teams are adjusting. That triple option shovel pass is incredibly dangerous if the defense guesses right.

A few weeks ago a team, maybe it was the Chargers, were really keying in on it well.

ToxSocks 10-17-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13157874)
I noticed that too...at least against the Steelers. I'm not sure if was due to losing Conely/Wilson or game planning for both the Raiders/Pittsburgh. I would think KC would prioritize beating the Raiders as they are divisional.

3 games in 11 days is a ruff roll and sudden injuries complicated it...this was the Chiefs toughest stretch.

KC definitely didn't use much misdirection on Sunday...curious if it was intentional.

I've noticed that they've been going to that deceptive stuff less and less by the week. I have no stats to back up that claim, but i started noticing after the Philly game that they weren't really going into that well much anymore. At least not like in weeks 1 and 2.

Red Dawg 10-17-2017 11:53 AM

Smith needs the running game badly. He is not a player that can carry a team each week without it.

fan4ever 10-17-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13157824)
I was just about to ask that myself. No jet sweeps to Tyreek, no shovel passes to Kelce...it seems like the offense went vanilla about two games ago.

I remember a couple of years back when we knocked the crap out of New England on a Monday night game...all sorts of innovative play calling...was excited to think this was the new normal...and then nothing even close for the rest of the season.

Last year in the playoff game, on one of the first, if not the first, drives against Steelers...lots of different stuff...scored a touchdown. That was it for the game...vanilla offense after that.

I don't get what goes through his head.

kccrow 10-17-2017 12:13 PM

I'm not giving the "3 starters down" pass. Fulton has more career starts than Morse. Witzmann has more career starts than Ehinger and has proven to be a good run blocker thusfar. Yeah, Erving is a giant bag-o-dicks, but whatever. This team failed to execute on so many levels it was pathetic. Andy was as much to blame. When a team is crashing down on the run on 1st down as hard as Pittsburgh was, you gotta do some play action there. Andy/Nagy failed to run basic passing concepts against a zone defense as well. It was a giant shit show from the get-go. Team was shit.

Chiefnj2 10-17-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 13157818)
Is it just me or have we forgotten all the motion and misdirection stuff that worked so well for us early in the season? Wouldn't that help open some holes up? Sometimes it seems like as soon as something proves successful, Andy hates doing it anymore. The ultimate not-broke-fixer.

My guess is that it had to do (partially) with backup WR's not being able to execute all the presnap motion, etc. Let them worry about the routes without any illegal formation, movement, etc.

patteeu 10-17-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13157827)
I'll grant you the other two, but Ehinger is a mid-round rookie with four career starts. Until he comes back, I view him as a larger Brad Cottam.

Ooooh, I loved Brad Cottam. We've had some decent players from Tennessee over the years.

I was at that crazy game with my daughter when he broke his neck.

If he ever makes it back, we're going to have a great one two punch with Kelce and Cottam!

JakeF 10-17-2017 12:57 PM

We should be worrying more about our running defense. :(