ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306961)

Great Expectations 06-13-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 12914375)
I can't imagine they are going to trade their current roster for guys that are close to the majors. Stock the lower levels and wait for them to develop together (again).

I'd imagine the guys we target will be closer to 22 years old, while we are drafting a bunch of 18 year old guys. With our player development I'd rather trade for guys who are close to being ready than projects with high upside.

Fansy the Famous Bard 06-13-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 12914402)
I'd imagine the guys we target will be closer to 22 years old, while we are drafting a bunch of 18 year old guys. With our player development I'd rather trade for guys who are close to being ready than projects with high upside.

Why not just do BPA when trading, instead of targeting a specific age\level range of prospects?

duncan_idaho 06-13-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 12914413)
Why not just do BPA when trading, instead of targeting a specific age\level range of prospects?

It's what I would do, but I don't have to balance anything like the current MLB roster, ticket sales, etc.

I think Moore is trying to do a re-load rather than a full rebuild, which means targeting the returns more selectively. You sacrifice some upside for a higher floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prison Bitch 06-13-2017 12:27 PM

One unnoticed skill DM brought that I've come to appreciate is: he cares more about th MLB results than the trade deadline. Used to drive me nuts he wouldn't sell off parts and kept playing out the string. But in 2013 and 2014 it worked wonders. It reinforced to our actual team (the only one 99% of fans even care about) that winning mattered and the FO believed they could.

Do a search for 2014 trade deadline, with Royals as keyword. Everyone nationally talked about the need to deal Shields, Gordon, Butler on and on. Nobody said to hang in there. Didn't work in 2016 (morales Volq etc) but it could in 2017. At least, players **think** we're in it and prob will play harder than knowing they're on the block

DeepSouth 06-13-2017 01:54 PM

Minor fact about this draft; The first three "non-pitchers" the Royals drafted all bat left handed.

duncan_idaho 06-13-2017 02:06 PM

I really like Gigliotti. He had a great season on the Cape last year and then a bad jr year.

He was viewed as a potential first round, top 20 pick entering the college season.

Doesn't have much pop, but he plays a good CF, gets on base, and is a great base runner.

107 walks in 627 college ABs vs 107 Ks. Career .423 OBP.

It appears, based on Gigliotti and Pratto, KC might be valuing OBP ability a little more highly this year. Interesting.

DeepSouth 06-13-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12914985)
I really like Gigliotti. He had a great season on the Cape last year and then a bad jr year.

He was viewed as a potential first round, top 20 pick entering the college season.

Doesn't have much pop, but he plays a good CF, gets on base, and is a great base runner.

107 walks in 627 college ABs vs 107 Ks. Career .423 OBP.

It appears, based on Gigliotti and Pratto, KC might be valuing OBP ability a little more highly this year. Interesting.

He'll be 21 by the end of the year so he's a little closer to being MLB ready.

Great Expectations 06-13-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 12914413)

I'd like the BPA with the highest floor, we haven't demonstrated a great ability to develop players through our farm system.

DeepSouth 06-13-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 12915004)
I'd like the BPA with the highest floor, we haven't demonstrated a great ability to develop players through our farm system.

Seems like the Royals drafted and developed players well enough so that other teams wanted them. The other teams wanted them bad enough to give the Royals the final pieces to win a world series.

Great Expectations 06-13-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouth (Post 12915020)
Seems like the Royals drafted and developed players well enough so that other teams wanted them. The other teams wanted them bad enough to give the Royals the final pieces to win a world series.

Here are our first round draft picks over the last 10 years:

Ashe Russel
Nolan Watson
Chase Vallot
Foster Griffin
Finnegan
Manaea
Dozier
Zimmer
Bubba
Colon
Crow
Montgomery

Who inspires confidence in our ability to scout and develop elite young talent?

OmahaChief 06-13-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12914098)
Huntington Beach, California defeated Hamamatsu City, Japan in the championship game of the 2011 Little League World Series by a score of 2-1. California won its' second LLWS Championship in three years after a bases loaded single by Nick Pratto scored pinch-runner Eric Anderson.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oOO1K6Osuis" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well the kid is already a winner so I like that. Hope he is the next Votto.

ChiefsCountry 06-13-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 12915057)
Well the kid is already a winner so I like that. Hope he is the next Votto.

I would rather him be the next Hosmer. He won something.

DeepSouth 06-13-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 12915049)
Here are our first round draft picks over the last 10 years:

Ashe Russel
Nolan Watson
Chase Vallot
Foster Griffin
Finnegan
Manaea
Dozier
Zimmer
Bubba
Colon
Crow
Montgomery

Who inspires confidence in our ability to scout and develop elite young talent?

There are players other than first round picks that become all stars. But just to pick one of those players you listed, one of them played in the college world series the same year he played in the world series for the Royals. He was then traded to bring Cueto to the Royals to help with the World Series win.
And, I believe Manaea brought the Royals Zobrist.
I'm not sure everyone realizes how the World Series run affected the Royals farm system.

Chiefspants 06-13-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouth (Post 12915085)
There are players other than first round picks that become all stars. But just to pick one of those players you listed, one of them played in the college world series the same year he played in the world series for the Royals. He was then traded to bring Cueto to the Royals to help with the World Series win.
And, I believe Manaea brought the Royals Zobrist.
I'm not sure everyone realizes how the World Series run affected the Royals farm system.

We realize it, but using prospects as currency to add necessary tools to a championship caliber team is radically different than developing those prospects on a rebuilding team.

Moore's drafting record since 2009 is an undeniable concern as the Royals look to retool/rebuild.

Great Expectations 06-13-2017 03:17 PM

I think everyone does realize that, we also realize that the first round is a crap shoot. We've been a little better in identifying talent in Latin America, but we've been very good with trades. The Greinke trade for MLB ready talent was great, our draft picks haven't been.