ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let's talk about the 49ers (Super Bowl Edition) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352059)

tredadda 02-08-2024 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 17387546)
It'll be ****ing nice not to have to spy a QB all game long for once.

At least at first. If Purdy starts to scramble a bit Spags will probably spy him. Thankfully we have LBs with the speed to contain him.

FloridaMan88 02-08-2024 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17387547)
I think a better question is, how tight is Shanahan? Dude is knocking on the door of being Dan Reeves.

Crazy fact about Shanahan… he was a career sub .500 HC until they traded for CMC last year.

Talk about being overhyped.

Bearcat 02-08-2024 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17387545)
I don't think Purdy is capable of those throws, dude needed a horseshoe up his ass to get his big play against Detroit.

What I've noticed in limited games/highlights is he's at least not afraid to make throws... he'll throw into tight windows and trust his guys to make a play.

I didn't see much beyond that in terms of nuanced passes.. firing it into coverage, back shoulder throws, throwing receivers open. Not saying he's incapable of all that.

I also wasn't sure on Hurts and then he played the game of his career in the SB... :shrug:

duncan_idaho 02-08-2024 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17387579)
The 49ers probably think their blueprint is the Packers game...you know not accounting for Bolton and Tranquil both missing that game and Jack Cochrane being out there.

And the Packers' OL being better than the 49ers...

And Jordan Love being better than Purdy in all aspects save the talent around him...

RunKC 02-08-2024 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17387588)
Crazy fact about Shanahan… he was a career sub .500 HC until they traded for CMC last year.

Talk about being overhyped.

Chiefs fans don't want to hear this but Mike Shannahan's system is the best I've ever seen. It's plug and play.

He would have bum RB's like Quinten Griffin busting off 1k rushing caliber seasons if he wanted. They could have anyone back there and that system would pump out numbers.

It's the same with QB's. Jimmy G looked good, Brock Purdy looked good, Tua looked good, Love looked good. Hell Jake Plummer looked good in that system too and he wasn't very good.

It's the most QB friendly system ever created.

Mecca 02-08-2024 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17387602)
Chiefs fans don't want to hear this but Mike Shannahan's system is the best I've ever seen. It's plug and play.

He would have bum RB's like Quinten Griffin busting off 1k rushing caliber seasons if he wanted. They could have anyone back there and that system would pump out numbers.

It's the same with QB's. Jimmy G looked good, Brock Purdy looked good, Tua looked good, Love looked good. Hell Jake Plummer looked good in that system too and he wasn't very good.

It'll get you to the playoffs but the only time Mike or his son won a SB it required elite talent in the system. That is why I don't think the 49ers win this, this 49ers team is worse than the 2019 one that didn't win.

St. Patty's Fire 02-08-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:

kyle is kyle and mike is mike. i know he basically uses his dad’s system but they’re two separate entities. kyle is definitely a very good coach but I do think he gets massively overhyped when people try to put him in the same breath as a guy like Andy, and plenty of people try to say shit like “is kyle shanahan the best play caller/designer in the league?” which becomes even more questionable when you consider that his dad basically handed him the framing.

Bearcat 02-08-2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Wait until you see what Patrick Mahomes can do in Andy Reid's system...

smithandrew051 02-08-2024 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17387579)
The 49ers probably think their blueprint is the Packers game...you know not accounting for Bolton and Tranquil both missing that game and Jack Cochrane being out there.

It was especially bad for Tranquil because he left the game so early.

We definitely didn’t game plan as though Cochrane would be playing major snaps.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-08-2024 11:07 AM

Shanahan's system is plug and play, but I also think it puts a ceiling on QBs. I don't think it would maximize the talents of a Mahomes or Allen fully.

It's safe, but it basically allows Shanahan to have full control of things.

St. Patty's Fire 02-08-2024 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17387625)
It was especially bad for Tranquil because he left the game so early.

We definitely didn’t game plan as though Cochrane would be playing major snaps.

that aspect showed itself clearly when we were wayyyyy better defensively in the second half. if we knew bolton and tranquill were out before the game i think things look a lot different in the first half

raybec 4 02-08-2024 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17387618)
Wait until you see what Patrick Mahomes can do in Andy Reid's system...

I've heard good things but they'll have to prove it. Not a big enough sample size.

DJ's left nut 02-08-2024 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17387506)
The Chiefs defense is going to be so hard for Purdy bc they're good at tackling. Their scheme relies having on running the ball well and getting YAC. That's why we killed Miami. They tried the same system but we stuffed running/cut back lanes and tackled well limiting any YAC.

They're gonna force Brock to win with his arm and hit those tight window throws. They're betting he won't be able to do it.

Justin Reid against the 49ers outside zone scheme may be the biggest matchup of the game.

If he plays well, it just flat will not work. Reid can be an eraser on those outside zone plays. And because of the variety of ways we use him, he's a really hard guy to key on because Spags (and Reid) are so good at keeping what he's going to do a secret until the ball is snapped.

So you're going to have CMC trying to read the end and the Sam (probably) and in so doing, he's going to have to probably make a pre-snap sort of guess as to what Reid is doing. And Reid's so good at getting down hill AND getting lateral at the same time that he's going to be a real problem for them.

Reid could very well be the unsung hero (or potentially the goat) of this game. Because if he's getting to his spots and finishing tackles, the outside zone is dead before it starts.

seamonster 02-08-2024 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17387627)
Shanahan's system is plug and play, but I also think it puts a ceiling on QBs. I don't think it would maximize the talents of a Mahomes or Allen fully.

It's safe, but it basically allows Shanahan to have full control of things.

It's overrated. Shanahan famously staked his reputation on Jeff Beck because he thought his system was some profound guaranteed magic bullet. Turns out the NFL is better than a Shanahan system if the Shanahan system has a medicore quarterback.

The Franchise 02-08-2024 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17387636)
Justin Reid against the 49ers outside zone scheme may be the biggest matchup of the game.

If he plays well, it just flat will not work. Reid can be an eraser on those outside zone plays. And because of the variety of ways we use him, he's a really hard guy to key on because Spags (and Reid) are so good at keeping what he's going to do a secret until the ball is snapped.

So you're going to have CMC trying to read the end and the Sam (probably) and in so doing, he's going to have to probably make a pre-snap sort of guess as to what Reid is doing. And Reid's so good at getting down hill AND getting lateral at the same time that he's going to be a real problem for them.

Reid could very well be the unsung hero (or potentially the goat) of this game. Because if he's getting to his spots and finishing tackles, the outside zone is dead before it starts.

Having Gay should help out a lot too.