ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   In Memoriam (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Good news [Lonewolf Ed] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290171)

Eleazar 03-03-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 12111178)
Shit, not only is an efficient fuel and fiber source, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's illegal BECAUSE this cheap, efficient plant could replace $46k per trip chemo treatments...

But this isn't the thread for that particular discussion. This is Ed's thread. I just asked a question, that's all.

Idiot

Chromatic 03-03-2016 01:00 PM

^ Don't bring that shit in here guys, of all places.

Keep fighting, Ed. I've been following your thread since you were diagnosed and you really are an inspiration and tougher than I'll ever be. God bless.

burt 03-03-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12110949)
This is for you, Ed. Gonzo made a good point about the benefit your data point could be to the future of cancer research, but this is your time now and that's more important than one data point. Decide what you want and don't let cliches about fighting the good fight convince you to do what you don't want to do. Live the rest of your life your way, whichever way that is.

Here's a powerful article about end of life issues. It's been posted here before so you may have already read it. But if not, here you go:

How Doctors Die

I can not agree more with patteeu!! Ed, you're a champ, no matter what happens and when the time comes.......hopefully later than sooner....you will be missed.

Lonewolf Ed 03-03-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 12111103)
Have considered something more...holistic??

A lot of new information coming about CBD and THC oils and tinctures used in the treatment of cancer. Not symptons...but the actual cancer itself.

I was at the Black Sabbath concert and I got a lot of THC second hand that night! There were many clouds floating around of that stuff.

Lonewolf Ed 03-03-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromatic (Post 12111317)
^ Don't bring that shit in here guys, of all places.

Keep fighting, Ed. I've been following your thread since you were diagnosed and you really are an inspiration and tougher than I'll ever be. God bless.

Thank you very much. It's overwhelming hearing all that from you all, but not in the get away from me kind of overwhelming. One of the nurses, one who usually jabs the needles in my chest, told me I was the greatest man she has ever met. I was taken by surprise by that and I really didn't know what to say so I just blinked and said, "Me?" She said something about how I am facing cancer compared to the others she sees. I was beyond humbled and really couldn't say much to her other than to say thanks and I appreciated that very much. Whenever I die, I won't be made a saint, and not just because I am a Lutheran. Maybe part of my strength comes from being bullied and pushed around a lot when I was a child. Cancer is very much like a big nasty bully, too. Now I can fight back, and bullies piss me off to no end. I have had my fill of excrement sammich in this life. Now, if someone or something comes and tells me I have to take a bite, it's going to be a fight.

burt 03-03-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12111730)
Thank you very much. It's overwhelming hearing all that from you all, but not in the get away from me kind of overwhelming. One of the nurses, one who usually jabs the needles in my chest, told me I was the greatest man she has ever met. I was taken by surprise by that and I really didn't know what to say so I just blinked and said, "Me?" She said something about how I am facing cancer compared to the others she sees. I was beyond humbled and really couldn't say much to her other than to say thanks and I appreciated that very much. Whenever I die, I won't be made a saint, and not just because I am a Lutheran. Maybe part of my strength comes from being bullied and pushed around a lot when I was a child. Cancer is very much like a big nasty bully, too. Now I can fight back, and bullies piss me off to no end. I have had my fill of excrement sammich in this life. Now, if someone or something comes and tells me I have to take a bite, it's going to be a fight.

Wow. You are a big man.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-03-2016 05:21 PM

What an inspiration you are.

Saccopoo 03-03-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Did you get laid?

rabblerouser 03-03-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12111680)
I was at the Black Sabbath concert and I got a lot of THC second hand that night! There were many clouds floating around of that stuff.

\m/

Eleazar 03-03-2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Your courage is definitely inspiring, as is all of this travel! Keep it up!

Lonewolf Ed 03-04-2016 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 12111850)
Did you get laid?

Laid? What the hell is that? Let me search my memories... back, back, baaaack... oh, that. No. I did not.

Saccopoo 03-04-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12112869)
Laid? What the hell is that? Let me search my memories... back, back, baaaack... oh, that. No. I did not.

Darn it. Sounds like there was potential.

Lonewolf Ed 03-04-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 12113334)
Darn it. Sounds like there was potential.

Not much... she is about 60, I think. Late 50s for sure and married, but I still was totally not expecting the compliment she gave me.

SAUTO 03-04-2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 12110741)
Ed, I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not and I don't really care.

With all the supportive messages you've received and people telling you to keep fighting, somethings been lost.

I want to thank you.

You have decided to enroll in a grueling clinical trial that can have severe side effects. Where you could just decide to say "**** it" and stop all treatment, go on your vacations and things like that and have a huge grand finale, you've instead decided to seek answers for this horrible disease that's taken so many. For that, I thank you. While it may or may not be the answer doctors are looking for, it's a variable they can either eliminate or utilize for future generations.

You are doing important work, my friend. No matter the outcome you've decided to take us one more step towards a cure.

Thank you, Ed. Keep up the good fight my man. You are an inspiration to many.

Awesome post.

Agreed, thank you so much ed.

Gonzo 03-05-2016 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12114097)
Not much... she is about 60, I think. Late 50s for sure and married, but I still was totally not expecting the compliment she gave me.

Hey man. Older chicks need love too.
They don't tell, they don't yell, they don't smell and they're grateful as hell.

GloryDayz 03-05-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 12110741)
Ed, I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not and I don't really care.

With all the supportive messages you've received and people telling you to keep fighting, somethings been lost.

I want to thank you.

You have decided to enroll in a grueling clinical trial that can have severe side effects. Where you could just decide to say "**** it" and stop all treatment, go on your vacations and things like that and have a huge grand finale, you've instead decided to seek answers for this horrible disease that's taken so many. For that, I thank you. While it may or may not be the answer doctors are looking for, it's a variable they can either eliminate or utilize for future generations.

You are doing important work, my friend. No matter the outcome you've decided to take us one more step towards a cure.

Thank you, Ed. Keep up the good fight my man. You are an inspiration to many.

As Jason said, this is a quality post... And I agree, along with fighting like hell a thank-you is just as well deserved.

Lonewolf Ed 03-08-2016 09:57 PM

Okay, so I've started with the chemo pills. Some of the worst side effects like becoming anemic and needing a blood transfusion are not unique to the pills. My nurse practitioner told me that since my very first treatment long ago, they've monitored my blood cell counts in case I need a transfusion. Throwing up blood was also a possibility with the previous treatment, but I just don't recall reading or hearing about that. I took 4 pills last night, and 8 today (4 after breakfast and 4 after dinner) and so far, I really don't feel much different than I did before I took them. Except for a lingering stomach ache along the left side of my stomach, I can't tell that I am having any side effects at all. I am not more tired than I have been, I have no nausea at all, no chemo runs (yet...), no sores along the sides of my tongue, and so on.

I know it is early on, and the side effects can strike at any time, so I am not ready to hop around in joy and say, "No side effects!" But, on the other hand, so far, so good. My body does not feel tired out, either, so I might just lift some weights tonight and try to get toned up and stronger for my trip.

Lonewolf Ed 03-08-2016 10:00 PM

I should have added this to the previous post. My chemo pill schedule is going to work out in my favor big time. I am to take them Monday to Friday, weekend off, Monday to Friday, weekend off and then 2 weeks off, repeat. At the end of the second cycle, it will be two weeks off of the pills on the day I leave for Denmark, so if any side effects do show up, they should be well out of my system that day. So that means I should be feeling good and strong the day I leave and I won't have to worry about getting the runs on the plane!

IA_Chiefs_fan 03-08-2016 10:01 PM

Some good news there!

GloryDayz 03-08-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan (Post 12120167)
Some good news there!

Totally this...

Lonewolf Ed 03-16-2016 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, the chemo pills are weird. They make me feel a bit queasy pretty much all day long. For a split second at times, I feel like I am going to throw up, but I end up sneezing and it goes away. At least my rash is clearing up finally. My body is not feeling drained and weak like it was on the chemo IV bags, so that is a big plus.

I am gearing up for my trip and got some wild, fantastic news from Denmark. My cousin who is the CEO of a HUGE company called EnergiDanmark and has become very wealthy off of wind energy just bought a huge farm with a nice "house" on the property that has a name: Rosvang. It's not a castle, but looks like a little one. He has many farm buildings and at least 800 pigs. Man, could that keep me in bacon for my whole trip or what? I attached a photo of his new home and I will be visiting there, too, and I am very pumped to see it and the farm. I am in awe of my cousin and very proud of him. Three years ago, he said his company had a 2.4 billion dollar (not kroner, but dollar!) turnover. Yeah, he is making some serious money, hence the digs suitable for a viscount.

Strongside 03-16-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12134966)
Okay, the chemo pills are weird. They make me feel a bit queasy pretty much all day long. For a split second at times, I feel like I am going to throw up, but I end up sneezing and it goes away. At least my rash is clearing up finally. My body is not feeling drained and weak like it was on the chemo IV bags, so that is a big plus.

I am gearing up for my trip and got some wild, fantastic news from Denmark. My cousin who is the CEO of a HUGE company called EnergiDanmark and has become very wealthy off of wind energy just bought a huge farm with a nice "house" on the property that has a name: Rosvang. It's not a castle, but looks like a little one. He has many farm buildings and at least 800 pigs. Man, could that keep me in bacon for my whole trip or what? I attached a photo of his new home and I will be visiting there, too, and I am very pumped to see it and the farm. I am in awe of my cousin and very proud of him. Three years ago, he said his company had a 2.4 billion dollar (not kroner, but dollar!) turnover. Yeah, he is making some serious money, hence the digs suitable for a viscount.

Nice! You're going to have an awesome time!

Easy 6 03-16-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Extremely pleased to hear about the somewhat lesser side effects of this round of chemo, bro

Cant wait to see some interior pictures of "Skyfall" :D

scho63 03-16-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

I am gearing up for my trip and got some wild, fantastic news from Denmark. My cousin who is the CEO of a HUGE company called EnergiDanmark and has become very wealthy off of wind energy just bought a huge farm with a nice "house" on the property that has a name: Rosvang. It's not a castle, but looks like a little one.

Was that built with Lego's? :D

58-4ever 03-16-2016 06:57 PM

That house is incredible. And yes, he won't notice if some "bacon" goes missing. :)

patteeu 03-16-2016 06:58 PM

Ed,

Is Irish bacon like American bacon, Canadian bacon, or something different entirely?

Have fun on your trip!

Toby Waller 03-16-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12135367)
Ed,

Is Irish bacon like American bacon, Canadian bacon, or something different entirely?

Have fun on your trip!

the pigs are drunk :)

srvy 03-16-2016 09:10 PM

Ed that is quite the digs to shack up in! Does it come with wenches ?

Lonewolf Ed 03-16-2016 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12135367)
Ed,

Have fun on your trip!

I have no idea about Irish bacon, never had any yet. I do know that Danish bacon is much better than ours because they don't just let the pigs gorge themselves on slop. They "starve-feed" the pigs, meaning they feed them a bit, let them go until they get very hungry, feed them a bit, and repeat. It produces a long, lean pig and I kid you not, the ratio of fat to meat on Danish bacon is just about the inverse of typical American bacon. My cousins have come over here and seen ours in the stores and can't believe it is even for sale.

Lonewolf Ed 03-16-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12135629)
Ed that is quite the digs to shack up in! Does it come with wenches ?

My cousin does have a new girlfriend, so I guess it comes with one wench. Now if that were MY manor house, ohhhh yes, it would come with wenches in very low cut, tight cinched tops. No tattoos or implants allowed! Ah, to dream...

Buehler445 03-17-2016 12:32 AM

Holy shit. If he wants me to come run his farm, I'm game.

Glad to hear the chemo is not quite so viscous.

Lonewolf Ed 03-18-2016 09:52 AM

I go in on Tuesday for a doc visit and blood draw. They will be checking my blood counts to see if I need a transfusion or not. I am thinking I won't, since my body is feeling stronger than it has in months and I am not plagued with side effects, at least so far. I think my neuropathy is easing up a little, too. My fingertips don't feel like someone is pinching them so much and my feet are feeling slightly less like my socks are full of sand. I have been getting swollen ankles and parts of the top of my feet, though. I need to remember to ask if I can have grapefruit again, since most of my meds and the chemo stuff make it off limits. When it gets warmer out, I just love a cold glass of grapefruit juice. Over in Denmark, they have very good grapefruit sodas, too.

GloryDayz 03-18-2016 02:05 PM

Hang tough Lone, you're still in my prayers.

Lonewolf Ed 03-20-2016 02:24 PM

What a rough night I had... I am not sure if it is related, but after having two whole shot glasses of beer, I started to feel terrible. I finished the chemo pills the day before. My joints began to ache, starting in my hips and shoulders. Eventually, even my ankles and wrists hurt, but my right wrist felt like I had almost sprained it. I had a headache and chills and felt very queasy, too. Sleep was fitful and I woke up at 4:15 am feeling like I might throw up and feeling parched as well. So, I got up and had a big glass of water with two Tylenol pm tablets to try to make my headache better and allow me to sleep.

I slept for 5 hours after that and feel better than I did last night, but I am far from 100%, or whatever 100% is for me these days. I think it will be best if I forgo any more beer until I land in Denmark on April 26th. I will have been off the chemo pills for a bit over 2 weeks by then, so that stuff will be well out of my system then.

Easy 6 03-20-2016 05:46 PM

Still keeping you in my prayers, Fast Eddie

cdcox 03-20-2016 10:55 PM

Ed, sorry to hear that you are having a rough go of it at the moment. Hopefully you will be feeling better in a month for your trip.

Lonewolf Ed 03-20-2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 12142581)
Ed, sorry to hear that you are having a rough go of it at the moment. Hopefully you will be feeling better in a month for your trip.

Thanks, I hope so, too! I was in bed most of the day and I have chills that come and go. My appetite was not so good this afternoon and evening, either. I started feeling stronger as I was watching the Walking Dead, but a couple of hours after that, I started going downhill again. I drank a pot of green tea, so I should be hydrated and up during the night to send it on its way. My joints don't ache like they did yesterday. I feel very tired now even though I was in bed for about 17 hours today, though not all at the same time. I hope I am not becoming anemic. I really don't know how to tell.

DaNewGuy 03-21-2016 12:23 AM

Good idea to lay off the beer till your trip big man. Have a blast my friend

Chromatic 03-24-2016 08:05 PM

Hope you're doing alright, Ed.

WhawhaWhat 03-25-2016 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12138014)
I need to remember to ask if I can have grapefruit again, since most of my meds and the chemo stuff make it off limits. When it gets warmer out, I just love a cold glass of grapefruit juice. Over in Denmark, they have very good grapefruit sodas, too.

This stuff is pretty good. I like the blackberry myself but they have this grapefruit version as well. They sell them at Costco.

https://www.izze.com/wp-content/uplo...uit-can-lg.jpg

patteeu 03-25-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12148606)
This stuff is pretty good. I like the blackberry myself but they have this grapefruit version as well. They sell them at Costco.

https://www.izze.com/wp-content/uplo...uit-can-lg.jpg

They sell them in bottles at Price Chopper and HyVee too, in the health food area. They're pretty good.

Lonewolf Ed 03-25-2016 08:14 AM

Thanks to being on Xarelto, I can't have grapefruit, grapefruit juice, and should even avoid grapefruit sodas. Damn! Oh, well. Over in Denmark, I like the orange sodas the best, in particular Nickoline brand with 15% juice. The lemon-lime is also terrific. They get Schwepps lemon as well and that is awesome.

burt 03-25-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12148661)
Thanks to being on Xarelto, I can't have grapefruit, grapefruit juice, and should even avoid grapefruit sodas. Damn! Oh, well. Over in Denmark, I like the orange sodas the best, in particular Nickoline brand with 15% juice. The lemon-lime is also terrific. They get Schwepps lemon as well and that is awesome.

I just knew you were gonna say this...

Lonewolf Ed 03-25-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burt (Post 12149509)
I just knew you were gonna say this...

The thing that bugs me most about it is that in the summer when I come in from mowing or whatever, there is NOTHING that makes me feel better than a huge glass full of cold grapefruit juice. I can't get it into me fast enough. Hopefully, I will be off the Xarelto before I die. Blasted blood clots...

Squalor2 03-26-2016 07:56 PM

sassafrass tea. its good for the gut.

BlackHelicopters 03-27-2016 08:32 AM

Consider mixing vodka and grapefruit juice. You will thank me later.

58-4ever 03-27-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12149894)
The thing that bugs me most about it is that in the summer when I come in from mowing or whatever, there is NOTHING that makes me feel better than a huge glass full of cold grapefruit juice. I can't get it into me fast enough. Hopefully, I will be off the Xarelto before I die. Blasted blood clots...

What happens if you drink the grapefruit juice?

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-27-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 12151720)
What happens if you drink the grapefruit juice?

MNT explains that furanocoumarins found in grapefruit inhibit the body's CYP3A4 metabolizing enzyme from properly breaking down medications. As a result, more of the drug winds up in the bloodstream, and toxic drug levels or overdose can occur, resulting in:

•respiratory failure
•gastrointestinal bleeding
•bone marrow suppression in patients with weak immune systems
•renal toxicity
•acute kidney failure
•sudden death

Squalor2 03-28-2016 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12148609)
They sell them in bottles at Price Chopper and HyVee too, in the health food area. They're pretty good.

where can i find sassfrass tea at?

Lonewolf Ed 03-28-2016 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squalor2 (Post 12154244)
where can i find sassfrass tea at?

I haven't really looked for it, but doubt it is available at my local Price Chopper. Google it and see what pops up for online ordering. You might find some good prices that way, too.

Squalor2 03-28-2016 11:00 PM

found some here. its a concentrate. when you first open it, it reminds me of home.

Eleazar 03-29-2016 09:55 AM

Sassafras has significant safety concerns associated with it. I'd do your homework or ask your doctor before using if I were you.

The oil which makes the plant poisonous is still present in tea preparations at several times the safe level even in those preparations which claim to have removed it. The oil is a known carcinogen and can cause liver damage in higher amounts. I am not sure a physician would permit a patient with a complex medical history to use it.

Lonewolf Ed 03-29-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12154615)
Sassafras has significant safety concerns associated with it. I'd do your homework or ask your doctor before using if I were you.

The oil which makes the plant poisonous is still present in tea preparations at several times the safe level even in those preparations which claim to have removed it. The oil is a known carcinogen and can cause liver damage in higher amounts. I am not sure a physician would permit a patient with a complex medical history to use it.

That sounds like something I should avoid! My liver is rather a mess.

Eleazar 03-29-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12154655)
That sounds like something I should avoid! My liver is rather a mess.

Well, I am sure you have a great team of professionals to ask rather than get medical advice on CP, but I'm sure you know that ;)

You might ask about other things which do have some support behind them for gi discomfort like ginger, turmeric, peppermint oil, slippery elm, cinnamon.

Lonewolf Ed 03-29-2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12154709)
Well, I am sure you have a great team of professionals to ask rather than get medical advice on CP, but I'm sure you know that ;)

You might ask about other things which do have some support behind them for gi discomfort like ginger, turmeric, peppermint oil, slippery elm, cinnamon.

Except for slippery elm, the other things are pretty regular parts of my diet. One thing I was told is that the new cancerous lymph node is swollen and pushing on things, causing my discomfort.

Lonewolf Ed 03-29-2016 05:51 PM

Tonight, I had one of those warm your heart moments. Some background first... my best friend was killed when I was 12 but I stayed close to the family, since he and I were twin sons of different mothers. His sister is my big sis and I was a father figure to her two children when they were young. I even changed the girl's diapers once. She was just here with me tonight learning how to cook Danish meatballs and Danish white gravy with parsley. In my mind, it was not that long ago that I changed her diapers. She has been accepted to the KU School of Medicine to become a nurse practitioner. I am so proud of her and it is such a joy to see the capable, confident, focused young lady that she is now at 23 years of age. I could not be more proud of her if she was my actual daughter. Spending the time with her, showing her how to make one of my favorite dishes, and letting her do a lot of the cooking after I showed her what to do was beyond wonderful to me. It makes me envy those of you guys out there who are fathers. Isn't it amazing how those precious little girls work their way into your heart?

SAUTO 03-29-2016 05:58 PM

Yes ed. Yes it is.

scho63 03-29-2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12155568)
Tonight, I had one of those warm your heart moments. Some background first... my best friend was killed when I was 12 but I stayed close to the family, since he and I were twin sons of different mothers. His sister is my big sis and I was a father figure to her two children when they were young. I even changed the girl's diapers once. She was just here with me tonight learning how to cook Danish meatballs and Danish white gravy with parsley. In my mind, it was not that long ago that I changed her diapers. She has been accepted to the KU School of Medicine to become a nurse practitioner. I am so proud of her and it is such a joy to see the capable, confident, focused young lady that she is now at 23 years of age. I could not be more proud of her if she was my actual daughter. Spending the time with her, showing her how to make one of my favorite dishes, and letting her do a lot of the cooking after I showed her what to do was beyond wonderful to me. It makes me envy those of you guys out there who are fathers. Isn't it amazing how those precious little girls work their way into your heart?

I surely hope she is not into photography of the anatomy as a side hobby :shake:

Lonewolf Ed 03-29-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12155611)
I surely hope she is not into photography of the anatomy as a side hobby :shake:

No, she is not! We talked a bit about that and she had heard all about it.

scho63 03-29-2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12155624)
No, she is not! We talked a bit about that and she had heard all about it.

:D

Excellent job and keep fighting good man!

Meatloaf 03-29-2016 06:49 PM

You are a good man, Ed. Wish everyone could focus on the important things in life like you do! I pray for your total and complete recovery so that you can continue to be a beacon for others for many, many years!!!

Lonewolf Ed 03-29-2016 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatloaf (Post 12155641)
You are a good man, Ed. Wish everyone could focus on the important things in life like you do! I pray for your total and complete recovery so that you can continue to be a beacon for others for many, many years!!!

Thank you very much for that. But, if things do go poorly and I end up dying from this, remember what I have said: I didn't lose my battle with cancer. I won. I aim to kill the stuff, and if I die, it dies, too, so I win either way.

DaNewGuy 03-29-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12155666)
Thank you very much for that. But, if things do go poorly and I end up dying from this, remember what I have said: I didn't lose my battle with cancer. I won. I aim to kill the stuff, and if I die, it dies, too, so I win either way.

Damn I Know it's cliche and been said a ton but damn Ed you really do
Inspire me my friend. Your in my thoughts daily and just keep at it big man. Again have fun on that trip :)

Chromatic 03-30-2016 12:07 AM

Quote:

That's some heavy shit man.

Always rootin for ya

Lonewolf Ed 04-03-2016 04:59 PM

Tomorrow, Monday, I start up on the chemo pills again. I will take my anti-nausea meds earlier this time if it affects me the same way. I have an appointment at 10:15 am on Wednesday at the cancer center, and I am unsure if that will be the last one before my trip or not. As of tomorrow, it will be 3 weeks until I leave. I've gotten my pre-trip research done on new places to see, bus and train schedules written down, flight information, and all that other stuff. I like to do as much work on my trip before I go so that I don't have to look things up over there, thereby maximizing my time to enjoy my surroundings, not to mention downing pints in my pubs.

I am getting in better shape, slowly, but better than not at all. My arms in particular have a lot better tone now than they have in months. I just tire out easily since my blood cell counts are low. I walked around outside quite a bit today and noticed that I was not breathing hard, so having 2 weeks off of the pills does help me a lot. That is good to know since I will have to drag my luggage from where the bus station is to the apartment I am renting in Løkken, and it's not quite a third of a mile walk. I will have been off the pills for 2 weeks by that time, just like today. My friends' café is about 500 feet from my apartment, and I always stop in there to let them know I am in town, so if I am tired from hauling my stuff, I can sit down and rest for a bit.

Easy 6 04-03-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Whats all this talk of things going poorly, of peace with the enemy?

Sounds like you better have a talk with the Full Bird

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4VHKpGJX29s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lonewolf Ed 04-03-2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12162074)
Whats all this talk of things going poorly, of peace with the enemy?

Sounds like you better have a talk with the Full Bird

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4VHKpGJX29s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is no peace with the enemy here. I hate my cancer like nothing I have ever hated before.

go bo 04-04-2016 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12154615)

oh, now they tell me!!! :banghead:

all through cub scouts and boy scouts we drank a ton of sassafras tea, using plants we pulled from the forest floor... :huh:

go bo 04-04-2016 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12155568)

didn't have any daughters but have three granddaughters and a grandson...

makes me wish i had started my family sooner and not to have been so much older (in body but not in spirit) while the grandkids are growing up and then starting off on new lives...

but i sure can relate to your taking such well-deserved pride in your budding nurse practitioner; congratulations for having contributed to her becoming the person she is today... :clap: :clap: :clap:

go bo 04-04-2016 01:46 AM

Quote:

winner...

damn straight!!

winner!! :thumb:

Lonewolf Ed 04-07-2016 09:03 AM

I started on the chemo pills again Monday and it was not fun. It felt like someone kicked me in the gut and I was in pain all day and into the night. Luckily, it was not bad the next day and I caught up on sleep for the most part. Wednesday, I had my appointment at the cancer center. Initially, I was very pleased to see a nurse who usually was in the treatment area on the third floor, but she was going to jab me and do the blood draw. The last time she did that, it felt like she merely pressed her fingertip against me. Not this time. Even though she does it the same way every time, it hurt! I winced and twitched, saying OW! It even bled when she took the needle out of my port, which is very unusual. Sure, there is a drop or two, but this time, it was running. She felt bad, but I know it was not her fault. I can't explain why, but every time is different. It varies from no pain at all to feeling like a nail instead of a needle. Often, it's between a big mosquito bite to a bee sting regarding the pain involved.

Anyhow, after that, I waited almost 90 minutes before my doc came into the exam room, and I had to keep asking him stuff to keep him from running off. He spoke with me for not even 10 minutes. We went over my trip, I asked him if my feet and ankles swelling up should be something to worry about and he said not so much, and I got a double prescription so I won't run out of my xarelto and metoprolol during my long time in Europe. I teased the nurse later when she double checked what I needed from the pharmacy. I said if she can't get me double on the blood thinners, I will just drink more alcohol over there to keep my blood clots at bay. She scolded me even though I think she knew I was just messin'.

Now I just have to get through this cycle of pills. Two more days, then I have the weekend off, then Monday to Friday next week and I am done with them until I get back. Oh, and I told my doc about feeling like I am about to throw up often, but I end up sneezing instead. He has never heard of such a side effect. I've had several new ones that medical science has not yet seen. I just know I am going to end up in some lab soon where they will study me like I am some kind of mutant. It better pay well, dammit.

Lonewolf Ed 04-08-2016 10:26 AM

This morning didn't start off so well. Eight or nine dry heaves turned my guts into a pretzel and even though it was 2 hours ago, my insides still hurt from that! :grr:

Easy 6 04-08-2016 10:52 AM

:( man I sure hope to hear some good news soon

Try to grin and bear it, or you could just gin and beer it!

Meatloaf 04-08-2016 11:49 AM

Sounds like the side effects of the drugs are in full swing. Let's hope that the primary effects of the drugs is also in full swinging that the drugs are kicking those cancer cells' ass. Hang in there, buddy.

Lonewolf Ed 04-08-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12169057)
:( man I sure hope to hear some good news soon

Try to grin and bear it, or you could just gin and beer it!

I had Mexican food tonight and it calmed my stomach down a bit. Is that good?

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-08-2016 06:56 PM

Ed, even though I've been gone a while, I've never stopped praying for you and Dave.

Chin up.

Lonewolf Ed 04-08-2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagnabit (Post 12169845)
Ed, even though I've been gone a while, I've never stopped praying for you and Dave.

Chin up.

I appreciate that very much. Say, speaking of Dave... I wonder how he is?

Bwana 04-08-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 12169790)
I had Mexican food tonight and it calmed my stomach down a bit. Is that good?

Ed you will know how good the Mexican food is when morning rolls around and you are sitting on the growler. :D If you're like me, I like my Mexican food with the super hot salsa which tastes great at the time, but the next morning can be a bit of an adventure. You're still In my thoughts buddy.

Lonewolf Ed 04-09-2016 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12170402)
Ed you will know how good the Mexican food is when morning rolls around and you are sitting on the growler. :D If you're like me, I like my Mexican food with the super hot salsa which tastes great at the time, but the next morning can be a bit of an adventure. You're still In my thoughts buddy.

Medium hot is all I can tolerate anymore and nothing I had was beyond mild, but it was very tasty and settled my stomach down, which was a welcome relief. I am glad I have two days off the chemo pills and I hope it is noticeable. Thanks for all the support out there!

tmax63 04-09-2016 06:15 AM

If you don't need asbestos toilet paper the next day then it wasn't hot enough. We had some green chili in hunting camp a few years ago that we accused the cook of causing forest fires from self-ignition.:fire: