ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Sleep Apnea... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351335)

luv 02-29-2024 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17422420)
My only "complaint" so far is figuring out the humidity. I fill it up to just a bit over the max line. When I wake up all the water is gone but I still have some dry mouth.

I may need a separate humidifier in my bedroom out here in AZ. :hmmm:

Some of that could be the leakage issue you were having. Did you get your straps adjusted? Definitely could be the climate. I have to up the humidity on mine a little in the winter, and it will occasionally be dry (or close to it) in the morning. I definitely know when I need to turn it back down. Nothing more annoying than the gurgling sound whenever water condenses in your tube...lol.

Frosty 02-29-2024 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 17422744)
Some of that could be the leakage issue you were having. Did you get your straps adjusted? Definitely could be the climate. I have to up the humidity on mine a little in the winter, and it will occasionally be dry (or close to it) in the morning. I definitely know when I need to turn it back down. Nothing more annoying than the gurgling sound whenever water condenses in your tube...lol.

I'm always amazed at how much water some people go through. I live in a fairly dry area (not AZ dry though) and keep my humidity on zero. I usually go 8-10 days between having to fill my tank (ResMed 10). If I have it up even a little, I get rain out (water in the hose). A heated hose helps but doesn't completely eliminate it. Fortunately, I don't need it on and don't get dry nose/mouth.

luv 02-29-2024 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 17422760)
I'm always amazed at how much water some people go through. I live in a fairly dry area (not AZ dry though) and keep my humidity on zero. I usually go 8-10 days between having to fill my tank (ResMed 10). If I have it up even a little, I get rain out (water in the hose). A heated hose helps but doesn't completely eliminate it. Fortunately, I don't need it on and don't get dry nose/mouth.

I'm a mouth breather. I constantly wake up with a dry mouth, so I have to have my humidity on. I do have a heated tube, so that helps. I usually have it on 4, but bump it up to 5 during the winter.

We went camping last fall. The temp in the tent got down into the 40s, while my tube is set at about 78. Talk about gurgling. I ended up sleeping with the machine in my sleeping bag with me, and it helped.

Woogieman 02-29-2024 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17422399)
Have you tried everything with CPAP. Nasal pillows. Nasal masks, different masks that fit over the mouth/nose?

Less than 1% use BiPap because its usually effort by the individual to get past that feeling of suffocation that everyone deals with at first. The only "real" need for BiPap is if you have heart involvement. Afib, leaky heart valve etc.

I tried lowering the pressure, tried two different pillows. My suffocation was actually kind of real, it was so bad my ears were popping from the pressure. Not so much from the machine, but the air would accumulate as I was not able to exhale. I have central apnea, where the brain stops commuunicating with the lungs and you don't automatically breathe.

Woogieman 02-29-2024 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 17422639)
It might be the mask. I used to use a Swift FX NP, which had a vent in the front for exhaling. It had a high air flow so it was easy to breathe with but it also would blow air back in your face if on your side and the pillow wasn't adjusted just right. I woke up with some seriously chapped lips a few time before I figured out what was happening.

I have a new mask now (a P20, I think?) and it exhausts through a fine mesh in the front. That diffuses the air so it doesn't blow back at you but it also creates a lot more back pressure. It also clogs easily which can really hinder exhaling. I've had a few nights where I've had to scrub the screen with a toothbrush in the middle of the night because I could barely breathe through it.

Yeesh, doesn't sound like a good solution! I used the most popular pillow type of mask, which was far superior to the old jet pilot mask, but I still never was able to sleep more than two hrs before I woke up in a sweat.

scho63 02-29-2024 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 17422881)
I ended up sleeping with the machine in my sleeping bag with me, and it helped.

I bet it did.......ROFL

scho63 02-29-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogieman (Post 17422914)
Yeesh, doesn't sound like a good solution! I used the most popular pillow type of mask, which was far superior to the old jet pilot mask, but I still never was able to sleep more than two hrs before I woke up in a sweat.

This sounds horrific.

What was the final resolution and are you in much better shape now?

wutamess 02-29-2024 03:33 PM

I use a nasal pillow. I also had to use a face mask to keep my mouth closed (from amazon) because my mouth was opening defeating the CPAP purpose.
I can tell when my mouth has been open because my mouth is dry as all get-out in the mornings. That's what prompted me to get the mask to keep my mouth closed.

I tried the mask but it broke me out really bad so it was a no-go.

ROYC75 02-29-2024 07:29 PM

Anybody here use the Inspire implant?

Holladay 02-29-2024 08:17 PM

Quote:

I ended up sleeping with the machine in my sleeping bag
Quote:

I bet it did.......
Do you have the vibratey kind?

BigRedChief 02-29-2024 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogieman (Post 17422904)
I tried lowering the pressure, tried two different pillows. My suffocation was actually kind of real, it was so bad my ears were popping from the pressure. Not so much from the machine, but the air would accumulate as I was not able to exhale. I have central apnea, where the brain stops commuunicating with the lungs and you don't automatically breathe.

that’s what 80% of CPAP wears have. There is an issue with communication along that nerve. Good thing is that if you can keep that mask on, you can live a normal life. Run marathons, work 3 jobs whatever you want to do.

Only less than 20% have obstructive sleep apnea.