ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Clark Hunt, Brett Veach & Andy Reid press conference (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308903)

raybec 4 07-24-2017 03:10 PM

I enjoy the wild speculation being stated as fact.

The Bad Guy 07-24-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 12971283)
Either Clark wasn't a big Ballard fan either, or Ballard leaving ended up unmasking a number of issues and exposing certain things about Dorsey, and Hunt started taking serious notice at that point. Same thing apparently happened in Carolina where Brandon Beane was the buffer in the organization for Gettleman. Once he left for Buffalo Gettleman became exposed...

I would say Ballard covered up a lot of Dorsey's deficiencies. Just my hunch.

Titty Meat 07-24-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 12971283)
Either Clark wasn't a big Ballard fan either, or Ballard leaving ended up unmasking a number of issues and exposing certain things about Dorsey, and Hunt started taking serious notice at that point. Same thing apparently happened in Carolina where Brandon Beane was the buffer in the organization for Gettleman. Once he left for Buffalo Gettleman became exposed...

Rumor was Clark didn't offer Dorsey what Indy offered Ballard.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12971295)
Rumor was Clark didn't offer Dorsey what Indy offered Ballard.

According to Clark, there was never a negotiation with Dorsey

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 03:20 PM

There's more video of Clark discussing Veach's hiring but I can't seem to embed Vimeo

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...163331573.html

Eleazar 07-24-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12971165)
Do you believe anything happened today to sway anyone's opinion?

Probably not, other than Clark saying they were never negotiating an extension. Sounds in print as though Clark was pretty snide about it really.

Grim 07-24-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12971300)
According to Clark, there was never a negotiation with Dorsey

So, the rumor is confirmed unless Hunt was lying.
🙂

RealSNR 07-24-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12971149)
Dorsey's best draft choices were generally guys with issues.

Kelce (suspended for weed), Hill (Domestic Violence), Peters (may or may not have punched a coach, dismissed from the team), Chris Jones (lack of motivation and motor, poor work ethic), etc.

I don't mind drafting for upside in the later rounds, like he did with Fulton, LDT, DJ Alexander, Ramik Wilson and others, but I'd prefer to see Veach draft guys in the early rounds that are closer to a "Finished Product".

The Eric Fisher and Dee Ford approach needs to be a thing of the past, IMO.

I hope we keep drafting guys with "issues" provided we do our homework on them.

To some extent, Kpassagnon is another high potential athlete pick who won't contribute much in year one that I wish we'd get away from. We already made a huge investment in "future" with Mahomes, and Dorsey continued to make picks that won't see much at all in immediate contribution.

I hope Brett Veach starts drafting with an eye for the "now" more so than later, even if he's drafting to replace guys in the future.

Kiimo 07-24-2017 03:39 PM

Kpassagnon has a chance to be really good. I can wait for it.

For me the biggest miss is not trading up a couple spots for Dalvin Cook. I hope Kareem Hunt makes me not care much but man. Would have been a pretty great replacement for Jamaal.

staylor26 07-24-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12971339)
I hope we keep drafting guys with "issues" provided we do our homework on them.

To some extent, Kpassagnon is another high potential athlete pick who won't contribute much in year one that I wish we'd get away from. We already made a huge investment in "future" with Mahomes, and Dorsey continued to make picks that won't see much at all in immediate contribution.

I hope Brett Veach starts drafting with an eye for the "now" more so than later, even if he's drafting to replace guys in the future.

I dissagree about Kpassagnon.

He still has a chance to contribute early on and I'd much rather continue drafting for the future not next year.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12971339)

I expect 2018 to be Veach's most challenging year.

The Chiefs are $2 million over the expected cap. Unless Eligwe, March, Wilson or Alexander make huge leaps this year, the Chiefs will need at least one starting ILBer.

They'll need depth at OLB, considering Nicolas is starting on the PUP and Hali is 200 years old and unless Conley, Chesson or Robinson make huge leaps, they'll need more talent at the WR position.

If Terrance Mitchell is actually a thing, he'll need an extension. If not, they'll be in the market for a #2 CB. If Logan sucks, they'll need a DT. If Logan kicks ass, they'll need to re-sign him, even though they don't have any cap space.

I'm sure he's up for the challenge but he's not in the most enviable position.

penbrook 07-24-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12971359)

The Chiefs are $2 million over the expected cap. Unless Eligwe, March, Wilson or Alexander make huge leaps this year, the Chiefs will need at least one starting ILBer.

They'll need depth at OLB, considering Nicolas is starting on the PUP and Hali is 200 years old and unless Conley, Chesson or Robinson make huge leaps, they'll need more talent at the WR position.

If Terrance Mitchell is actually a thing, he'll need an extension. If not, they'll be in the market for a #2 CB. If Logan sucks, they'll need a DT. If Logan kicks ass, they'll need to re-sign him, even though they don't have any cap space.

They can also release Smith to save 17 mil

RealSNR 07-24-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12971355)
I dissagree about Kpassagnon.

He still has a chance to contribute early on and I'd much rather continue drafting for the future not next year.

Absolutely. I just don't like doing that in the 1st and 2nd round so goddamn often.

Love Marcus Peters. Love Chris Jones. And not just because they're draft hits, but because they were rookies poised to make immediate impacts with teams regardless of who drafted them. More of those, please. Fewer Dee Fords and Philip Gaines, please.

BryanBusby 07-24-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12971359)

Hali will be a guaranteed cut, so they will need to address OLB.

I think Logan is a one year rental that will be replaced by a rookie from a much better NT class in 2018. They don't have as much value, so I'm not too concerned about being able to find a quality one without a 1.

They should have enough cash to sign Mitchell if he plays well enough.

DaneMcCloud 07-24-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 12971373)
They should have enough cash to sign Mitchell if he plays well enough.

But how can they pay Mitchell without extending Peters first?

It's going to be an issue if Mitchell plays well.