ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Indiana Jones 5: First Details (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338387)

Enid Borden 07-09-2023 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 17010586)
I thought it was pretty good. I actually liked it more than Last Crusade. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Skull one.

I like the Skull one until it was the dark set CGI crap.

Stryker 07-10-2023 03:30 PM

Saw this today and really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the ending too - good closure.

Hammock Parties 07-10-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 17011583)
Saw this today and really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the ending too - good closure.

how was the closure in any way better than the closure of crystal skull?

****ing depressing shit, dude

Mecca 07-10-2023 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 17010586)
I thought it was pretty good. I actually liked it more than Last Crusade. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Skull one.

Wow really, I thought last crusade was a damn fine movie.

Stryker 07-10-2023 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17011585)
how was the closure in any way better than the closure of crystal skull?

Wait, what? Depressing? How in the heck did you get that? As for Crystal Skull, that movie is dead to me. For retrospect, in Crystal Skull, Indy's hat blows off of his head and the kid goes for it and it was not happening basically Indy is still the man - YAWN!

Hammock Parties 07-10-2023 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 17011778)
Wait, what? Depressing? How in the heck did you get that? As for Crystal Skull, that movie is dead to me. For retrospect, in Crystal Skull, Indy's hat blows off of his head and the kid goes for it and it was not happening basically Indy is still the man - YAWN!

Crystal Skull wrapped it all up with a bow. Indy was the hero, bad guys got a horrible death, everyone lived happily ever after as a family.

The ending here was just like the diet cola ending of Skull. It sucked. Indy, not a hero. Bad guys got a mediocre death. Marion is shoved back into dating her ex in a shitty NY apartment with a dead son.

Absolutely pointless shit. They didn't need to make the movie if this is the "goodbye" to a historic character.

Stryker 07-10-2023 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17011795)
Crystal Skull wrapped it all up with a bow. Indy was the hero, bad guys got a horrible death, everyone lived happily ever after as a family.

The ending here was just like the diet cola ending of Skull. It sucked. Indy, not a hero. Bad guys got a mediocre death. Marion is shoved back into dating her ex in a shitty NY apartment with a dead son.

Absolutely pointless shit. They didn't need to make the movie if this is the "goodbye" to a historic character.

Okay, let's start over. You have been banging the drum for this movie since your OP, now you are disliking it? It was not a bad movie by any means. But, if you did not like it then that is ok, to each their own. I am just glad I went to see it and was very happy when I left the theater. :thumb:

Hammock Parties 07-10-2023 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 17011880)
Okay, let's start over. You have been banging the drum for this movie since your OP, now you are disliking it? It was not a bad movie by any means. But, if you did not like it then that is ok, to each their own. I am just glad I went to see it and was very happy when I left the theater. :thumb:

indy had it made

they ruined him

Stryker 07-10-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17011888)

indy had it made

they ruined him

Ok then, what did you think would happen and how would you have ended this movie?

Keep in mind Clay, I am NOT your enemy and I appreciate you very much.

Why Not? 07-10-2023 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17011660)
Wow really, I thought last crusade was a damn fine movie.

To be fair, I probably need to see it again. I saw it when it came out and not since.

Why Not? 07-10-2023 11:34 PM

Quote:

I enjoyed the movie, as I said, but I did think the dead son storyline was not necessary and in no way added to the film.

BigRedChief 07-11-2023 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 17011880)

So, it wasn't prefect. I enjoyed the movie. Money and time well spent. :thumb:

Hammock Parties 07-11-2023 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 17012104)
I enjoyed the movie, as I said, but I did think the dead son storyline was not necessary and in no way added to the film.

In no way did anything in the film add to Indy's overall story. We left him in a worse place than we did with the previous film. And that is depressing.

It sure is great knowing that Indiana Jones essentially tried to commit suicide after retiring, only to be saved by his annoying goddaughter, though. DRAMA!

DJ's left nut 07-11-2023 09:08 AM

Quote:

it's a diet Cola Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Surely you recognize that...right? Broken old husk of a hero being replaced by a precocious Mary Sue and essentially limping his way through his 'swan song' while mostly just waiting to die.

loochy 07-11-2023 09:08 AM

Well I watched it with my son on Saturday. I was entertained. There were a lot of chase scenes, but there was little plot or reason for any of what happened. It's just another action movie. Not a classic, not the worst thing ever....just a somewhat entertaining, soon forgettable movie.

Hammock Parties 07-11-2023 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17012397)
it's a diet Cola Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Surely you recognize that...right? Broken old husk of a hero being replaced by a precocious Mary Sue and essentially limping his way through his 'swan song' while mostly just waiting to die.

I said as much in a post a few scrolls up.

I could have forgiven much of it if they had had him go out in a better way than sobbing on a beach to be offed, but nah. They lazily re-wrote the ending in a completely unsatisfying way.

MarkDavis'Haircut 07-11-2023 11:59 AM

The ending of the Last Crusade was the perfect sendoff for Indiana Jones.

BigRichard 07-12-2023 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut (Post 17012833)

Amen!

BigRedChief 07-15-2023 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut (Post 17012833)

They literally rode off into the sunset.

Stryker 07-15-2023 11:04 PM

Ok, Crystal Skull was the ULTIMATE sendoff - Did not like the alien shit but, the marriage was indeed closure!

listopencil 09-01-2023 04:28 PM

I finally got around to watching this. You just have to accept that Indiana Jones is old as ****. I just looked on wikipedia and it says that Jones was born in 1899. So he's 70 years old in this movie. It was OK. Nothing great but mildly entertaining. Nowhere near as good as all of the others. Other than the Temple Of Doom one. I barely remember it, other than it was a giant pile of shit. So I'll say that it was better than that one because mediocre is better than bad. Why did they use Phoebe What's-her-face? She's kind of homely with a goofy looking body. And why did they have to stick another annoying kid (with a mustache?) in there again? Meh. I hope they're done now.

Hammock Parties 09-01-2023 04:31 PM

The more I think about the movie the more it depresses me.

Just not necessary at all.

They should have taken 1/3 the budget and invested it in a cartoon show.

JohnnyV13 09-15-2023 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 17083734)
. Why did they use Phoebe What's-her-face? She's kind of homely with a goofy looking body.

1. Well, Indy's heir can't be a son, or any guy fo rthat matter, because we need to show that women can be action heroes, too.

2. She can't be a hot woman, because then you'd be pandering to the patriarchy.

3. The goofy-looking body helps validate every woman who doesn't fit the impossible beauty standards that have ruined so many lives.

4. Though, Phoebe-Waller Bridge is really too thin. What we needed was Lizzo flying through the air and twirling through stunts to demonstrate her true beauty!

Conclusion: Dial of Destiny failed because it simply didn't give the public what it truly wanted. Pay me a mere $50 million a year, and I'll fix it with a $400 million dollar action movie starring Lizzo that will revitalize the James Bond franchise.

P.S. Disney WILL need to acquire EON productions, which I expect them to do post haste following my gender confirmation surgery (after which I will be PERFECT to lead Disney to success in the 21st Century).

BigBeauford 09-15-2023 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 17109651)
1. Well, Indy's heir can't be a son, or any guy fo rthat matter, because we need to show that women can be action heroes, too.

2. She can't be a hot woman, because then you'd be pandering to the patriarchy.

3. The goofy-looking body helps validate every woman who doesn't fit the impossible beauty standards that have ruined so many lives.

4. Though, Phoebe-Waller Bridge is really too thin. What we needed was Lizzo flying through the air and twirling through stunts to demonstrate her true beauty!

Conclusion: Dial of Destiny failed because it simply didn't give the public what it truly wanted. Pay me a mere $50 million a year, and I'll fix it with a $400 million dollar action movie starring Lizzo that will revitalize the James Bond franchise.

P.S. Disney WILL need to acquire EON productions, which I expect them to do post haste following my gender confirmation surgery (after which I will be PERFECT to lead Disney to success in the 21st Century).

Come on, Lizzo? That's a bit too far of a stretch.

They should call Queen Latifah; she actually has proven acting chops.

JohnnyV13 09-15-2023 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 17109659)
Come on, Lizzo? That's a bit too far of a stretch.

They should call Queen Latifah; she actually has proven acting chops.

Well, we really need a 400lb gender-variant African-American/Asian action star, but I don't know anyone like that has any acting experience.

BigBeauford 09-15-2023 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 17109666)
Well, we really need a 400lb gender-variant African-American/Asian action star, but I don't anyone like that has any acting experience.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...1000_QL80_.jpg

MarkDavis'Haircut 09-16-2023 07:43 AM

This movie just came and went without any fanfare.

Bowser 09-16-2023 08:26 PM

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...uw&oe=650BEF00

MarkDavis'Haircut 09-17-2023 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17111085)

Imagine failing with Indiana Jones.

Even Lucas made moolah with Indiana Jones IV.

AdolfOliverBush 09-18-2023 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17111085)

What a dog shit movie.

DCTwister 12-02-2023 07:25 PM

So IJ5 has landed on Disney+ and I have decided to invest at least the 2 1/2 hours to watch it once. Halfway through it now.

1) Opening set-piece with the Nazis and the train is entertaining as others have said. Felt like the old days.

2) Phoebe Waller Bridge really does kill this movie, her character just sucks. She’s an annoying Mary Sue with a super-grating personality and just irritating to watch overall. No redeeming characteristics. She’s also not even moderately attractive to even just look at. She’s just weird looking and her character is just an unlikeable bitch. I find myself hoping that the bad guys would throw her out of a plane or something.

Anyway, I’ll probably finish this and never watch it again. I wonder if these stupid ****s at Disney (and Amazon, hello Galadriel) will ever get the message that these bitchy unlikeable Mary Sue “powerful women” are just grating and unwatchable. I hope Kathleen Kennedy finds something else to do with herself soon.

DCTwister 12-02-2023 07:43 PM

This article about PWB sums up my impressions well https://gmarlowe.medium.com/we-have-...e-81e727c30840

KCUnited 12-03-2023 01:17 PM

Bloated POS barely worth finishing

Hammock Parties 12-03-2023 02:21 PM

Watched it again with my mom. She liked it. Older, casual fans will appreciate it.

On 2nd viewing, I think I appreciate how it's a lot less annoying that Crystal Skull in many parts. The ending sat better with me.

I think it's a better movie if Crystal Skull was never made. But Crystal Skull makes DoD largely...frivolous?

DCTwister 12-08-2023 09:41 PM

Finally watched it to the end. It was fine. What’s her face was less annoying in the 2nd half of the movie, IMO. It could have been an ok movie if she wasn’t such a grating Mary Sue in the 1st half of the movie. But whatever. It’s like a 5/10. I won’t watch it again but it wasn’t terrible.

Hammock Parties 12-10-2023 11:35 PM

would love to see more details on this shit show, and if the rumors about him meeting his younger self were true LMAO

Quote:

“When I came on the movie, they had been playing with a bunch of different things which were basically just reduxes of what had happened in the first movie,” Mangold told io9 over video chat. “Just more apparitions and ghosts and I felt like I was just watching the first movie over again when I envisioned what was in the existing scripts. And I felt like what Steven [Spielberg] and George [Lucas] and Larry Kasdan and David Koepp as well had done successfully in the other films, was to keep kind of pulling up a rock on a different aspect of history and metaphysics and not going back to the same thing. In a way I didn’t want to do the kind of ‘Is it a Death Star again?’”

Mangold went back to the drawing board. He knew he had an older hero in an era that’s kind of passed him by, and “the movie is exploring the themes of time, past and present. That became my central idea.” Which is why the movie opens in the past and, in other iterations, went back there at the end. “When we did start writing, it was my theory that at first that we would end up back in Nazi Germany in 1938,” he said.

Yes: once Mangold and the team realized they wanted the dial to bring Indy back in time, the first idea was that Voller’s plan would work and Indy would just have to stop him in Germany.