ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs **Official Chiefs 2018 Training Camp Thread** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316387)

RunKC 07-31-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13651587)
Steffon Diggs got a new deal.

Tyreek gonna be expensive

Need to enjoy this group of weapons bc at least 2 of them will be gone/replaced in 3 years.

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13651765)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Aaron Rodgers intercepted again by Ha Ha Clinton-Dix during a team period. This is Rodgers’ second practice with three interceptions. He’s been picked seven times. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Packers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Packers</a></p>&mdash; Michael Cohen (@Michael_Cohen13) <a href="https://twitter.com/Michael_Cohen13/status/1023994960843075584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 30, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For anyone concerned with Mahomes INTs in camp. But at the end of the day, I think we know Mahomes is going to throw his fair share of interceptions.

Precisely...

These things are good to see for the people who think camp INTs are some horrible indicator of things to come, but everyone should expect him to throw at least 10-12 INTs this year and probably closer to 15.

NJChiefsFan 07-31-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13651802)
Need to enjoy this group of weapons bc at least 2 of them will be gone/replaced in 3 years.

At least 2? So possibly 3? We are going to lose 3 of them in 3 years?

staylor26 07-31-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13651867)

Lol yea that’s a bit much. I’d say at least 1, maybe 2.

RunKC 07-31-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Probably not 3 but at least 2.

In 3 years we will (hopefully) have to deal with this:

Mahomes highest paid contract in NFL pending.
Sammy Watkins new contract. Highest paid WR
Tyreek Hill ditto ^
Kareem Hunt highest paid RB new contract

I think Kelce is for sure the odd man out in this scenario

The Franchise 07-31-2018 11:03 AM

I highly doubt that Watkins gets another contract from us.

Rain Man 07-31-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13651765)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Aaron Rodgers intercepted again by Ha Ha Clinton-Dix during a team period. This is Rodgers’ second practice with three interceptions. He’s been picked seven times. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Packers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Packers</a></p>&mdash; Michael Cohen (@Michael_Cohen13) <a href="https://twitter.com/Michael_Cohen13/status/1023994960843075584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 30, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For anyone concerned with Mahomes INTs in camp. But at the end of the day, I think we know Mahomes is going to throw his fair share of interceptions.

Aaron Rodgers is a bust. The Packers should make a trade offer for Chad Kelly.

O.city 07-31-2018 11:26 AM

Why does anyone worry about paying Hunt? Run him for 4 years and let someone else pay him

Kiimo 07-31-2018 11:35 AM

That's why the Rams are stupid.

prhom 07-31-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13651892)

Tyreek Hill ditto ^

I think Mahomes and Hill are the only two that will be here past 3 years. Kelce was older coming out of school. He turns 29 in October. The way he plays the game isn’t very good for having a long career. Watkins is already highly paid and it seems rare for teams to give the same guy two huge contracts in a row. Hunt is a good RB, but it’s hard to see us investing at that level in an RB when you can get a more reliable and fresh option in the draft for nothing.

KChiefs1 07-31-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

RB’s don’t last long anymore. I’m hoping we can keep Kelce & Hill but it might not be cost effective.

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13651952)
Why does anyone worry about paying Hunt? Run him for 4 years and let someone else pay him

I tend to agree, unless he proves to have an impact similar to Marshawn in Seattle. Playing style is similar.

CupidStunt 07-31-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13651892)

Tyreek Hill ditto ^

A shit-load can change, so it's useless guessing, but Kelce is far more likely to stick with us for years to come than Watkins.

In such a pipedream, it's Watkins or Hill that goes. You can't pay 2 WRs the kind of numbers Cooks and Diggs are getting. You just can't.

Hoover 07-31-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13651898)
I highly doubt that Watkins gets another contract from us.

Agree with this. If Mahomes is worth the money he will be developing WRs for us.

Kiimo 07-31-2018 12:19 PM

https://www.chiefs.com/news/second-y...?sf194560615=1

This is, in my opinion, the most under-appreciated development in camp. This would be soooo huge if he turns into a Kearse-type player.

BryanBusby 07-31-2018 12:28 PM

It's hilarious how people were wanting to quickly discard Tanoh because he didn't learn how to play a new position while transitioning from basically D2 ncaa football to the NFL in a few months.

"****ing garbage"

Tribal Warfare 07-31-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13652167)
It's hilarious how people were wanting to quickly discard Tanoh because he didn't learn how to play a new position while transitioning from basically D2 ncaa football to the NFL in a few months.

You answered your question.

mcaj22 07-31-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

"****ing garbage"

not discrediting it but relative to the value invested, a round 2 pick. a player should not be that raw.

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 12:37 PM

We’re gonna need at least 2 of the 3 OLBs behind Houston to step up big this year. If 3-4 of them tear it up for 16 games, we should be SB contenders in theory.

Strongside 07-31-2018 01:02 PM

Chargers just had another starting CB carted off the field. Holy shit.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chargers cornerback Trevor Williams had to be helped off the field with an injury. The team just lost starting CB Jason Verrett for the season, so any injury to Williams would be a huge blow.</p>&mdash; Ryan Kartje (@Ryan_Kartje) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ryan_Kartje/status/1024365365747273728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 31, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RealSNR 07-31-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13652197)
We’re gonna need at least 2 of the 3 OLBs behind Houston to step up big this year. If 3-4 of them tear it up for 16 games, we should be SB contenders in theory.

Well, if four OLBs tear it up behind Houston, who would be the 4th guy? Frank Zombo?

staylor26 07-31-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

"****ing garbage"

Not to mention the guy was pretty ****ing productive in his lone start last year going up against a fellow rookie that was a 1st rounder.

The lack of patience with youmg players is ridiculously ignorant.

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13652242)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chargers cornerback Trevor Williams had to be helped off the field with an injury. The team just lost starting CB Jason Verrett for the season, so any injury to Williams would be a huge blow.</p>&mdash; Ryan Kartje (@Ryan_Kartje) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ryan_Kartje/status/1024365365747273728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 31, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's a bigger loss than Verrett if it's serious.

Kiimo 07-31-2018 01:03 PM

omg

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13652243)
Well, if four OLBs tear it up behind Houston, who would be the 4th guy? Frank Zombo?

Keep ****ing doubting the Zombonater.

ptlyon 07-31-2018 01:06 PM

While I feel bad for Williams, **** the Chargers for being picked #1 in the division for no real reason

RunKC 07-31-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

"****ing garbage"

Problem wasn’t Tanoh. It was where he was drafted.

Don’t draft small school raw players to play a new position in rd ****ing 2.

TLO 07-31-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13652242)

I understand that all teams have injuries, but the Chargers... Man o man.

Kiimo 07-31-2018 01:15 PM

Kind of like Eric Fisher I'm less worried about draft grades in July and just glad we're getting a serviceable player.

edit: also it's a leg injury of some kind for Williams

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13652243)

I meant including Houston in that sentence

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 01:22 PM

I really hate it for the Chargers. I just hope we don’t have these same issues. I know someone will get hurt, likely many, but in July? Sheesh.

TLO 07-31-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13652295)
I really hate it for the Chargers. I just hope we don’t have these same issues. I know someone will get hurt, likely many, but in July? Sheesh.

If you think the safety position looks weak now, just wait until Berry inevitably gets hurt again. :shake:

RealSNR 07-31-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13652244)
Not to mention the guy was pretty ****ing productive in his lone start last year going up against a fellow rookie that was a 1st rounder.

The lack of patience with youmg players is ridiculously ignorant.

I never declare draft picks to be failures without first seeing them fail consistently, and Tanoh had yet to demonstrate ANY kind of pattern (for failure or success) simply because he wasn't on the field ever. That's how you develop a player like that, and it was smart on Reid and Sutton's part. Basically, he got a redshirt year just like Mahomes did.

That being said, I DID complain about the pick when it was made and throughout the regular season last year because it nearly perfectly encapsulated Dorsey's draft strategy and why it could and often did lead to problems.

Tanoh had the cards stacked against him for a 2nd round pick, and I don't think that's an unfair statement to make even if he ends up being a great player. When he was drafted, his role was undefined-- people didn't know if he would play DL or OLB or be some worthless tweener. His college production compared to the level of competition he faced was also a huge concern-- people just didn't know what he was being asked to do in college that made those numbers so low. Compared to another freak athlete we drafted high like Poe, we were at least able to point to the tremendous upside and say, "His coaches weren't using him properly and didn't seem to care about getting him to play with leverage." I don't think it was clear what Tanoh was doing "wrong" in college that led to him to not successfully using his Samson strength and Stretch Armstrong length to his advantage.

I think it's possible to bemoan a draft pick and not shit on the player, necessarily.

O.city 07-31-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13652140)
https://www.chiefs.com/news/second-y...?sf194560615=1

This is, in my opinion, the most under-appreciated development in camp. This would be soooo huge if he turns into a Kearse-type player.

Man, he just looks so out of place at OLB. Would be nice for it to workout, but damn, that athleticism could be such a force inside vs guards and centers.

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13652320)
Man, he just looks so out of place at OLB. Would be nice for it to workout, but damn, that athleticism could be such a force inside vs guards and centers.

A guy like that with his gifts should be able to make plays all over the LOS. We should move him around a lot.

staylor26 07-31-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13652303)
I never declare draft picks to be failures without first seeing them fail consistently, and Tanoh had yet to demonstrate ANY kind of pattern (for failure or success) simply because he wasn't on the field ever. That's how you develop a player like that, and it was smart on Reid and Sutton's part. Basically, he got a redshirt year just like Mahomes did.

That being said, I DID complain about the pick when it was made and throughout the regular season last year because it nearly perfectly encapsulated Dorsey's draft strategy and why it could and often did lead to problems.

Tanoh had the cards stacked against him for a 2nd round pick, and I don't think that's an unfair statement to make even if he ends up being a great player. When he was drafted, his role was undefined-- people didn't know if he would play DL or OLB or be some worthless tweener. His college production compared to the level of competition he faced was also a huge concern-- people just didn't know what he was being asked to do in college that made those numbers so low. Compared to another freak athlete we drafted high like Poe, we were at least able to point to the tremendous upside and say, "His coaches weren't using him properly and didn't seem to care about getting him to play with leverage." I don't think it was clear what Tanoh was doing "wrong" in college that led to him to not successfully using his Samson strength and Stretch Armstrong length to his advantage.

I think it's possible to bemoan a draft pick and not shit on the player, necessarily.

That’s definitely fair. I wasn’t thrilled with the pick either, especially when they announced that he was going to be an OLB.

loochy 07-31-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13652302)
If you think the safety position looks weak now, just wait until Berry inevitably gets hurt again. :shake:

I'd call the Achilles the only "real" injury. The knee was a hit job and the cancer was a freak thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buckweath 07-31-2018 02:02 PM

Somehow, fans would still find a way to criticize Dorsey's drafts.

He was outstanding at drafting.

Tanoh might very well prove to be another hit for him.

I trusted Dorsey all the way when it came to drafting.

O.city 07-31-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13652390)

Was he though? I mean, yeah he definitely had some hits. But is it really that much more than the average?

Kman34 07-31-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13652302)

Negative Nancy..... Debbie Downer... Bet you he plays the whole year..

OKchiefs 07-31-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13652390)

He was okay at finding offensive talent, complete shit at drafting defense.

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 02:11 PM

His hits were big but they were also shortcuts in many ways. Look at Peters. Only got 3 years out of him.

RunKC 07-31-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13652303)

This is exactly why I liked this years draft. All players were from big schools and had extensive experience playing positions similar to what they are now playing with us and they are ready to go day 1.

The first 2 rds for sure need to be players with decent floors. Unless it’s a QB, get the raw, small school high ceiling guys in the mid rds.

RealSNR 07-31-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13652333)
A guy like that with his gifts should be able to make plays all over the LOS. We should move him around a lot.

The Chiefs have been putting Chris Jones in a stand-up role in a few different packages this training camp. Justin Houston, the vet, already IS playing at every position, both on and off the line. Speaks is a rookie, and we're mostly working on finding him a home at OLB, but he's a former DT, and you can bet we're going to eventually move him around all different spots in the front 7.

Our safeties don't really have defined roles. Fuller and Nelson are both going to be used to defend outside and in the slot.

It's pretty clear that the Chiefs value players who do all kinds of things in all kinds of different formations in order to confuse offenses and mask their intentions when they line up. We've always done that since Sutton got here, but with a pick like Kpassagnon, I can at the very least respect that they don't believe in necessarily taking the player who will play the best in a particular defined position.

If they think an important future trend of defense in the NFL is having do-it-all players like Kpassagnon with the physical gifts to be disruptive no matter where they are, then I will be more than willing to chalk up my distrust of picking guys that high to my lack of understanding as a mere fan and not being able to think about things outside the box.

Kiimo 07-31-2018 02:22 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Update on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chargers</a> CB Trevor Williams: He was seen leaving the facility on crutches with his left foot in a walking boot. HC Anthony Lynn didn&#39;t give any update on the severity.</p>&mdash; NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1024388232082022401?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 31, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buckweath 07-31-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13652407)
His hits were big but they were also shortcuts in many ways. Look at Peters. Only got 3 years out of him.

3 years of Pro-Bowl/All-Pro out of him (plus a 2nd and 4th round picks).

Do people even know that this is better return than your average mid 1st round pick?

You'd rather have had Devante Parker, Melvin Gordon, Kevin Johnson or Arik Armstead, all guys drafted right in front of Peters? Or Cameron Erving, Agholor or Ogbuehi drafted right after..

O.city 07-31-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13652431)
This is exactly why I liked this years draft. All players were from big schools and had extensive experience playing positions similar to what they are now playing with us and they are ready to go day 1.

The first 2 rds for sure need to be players with decent floors. Unless it’s a QB, get the raw, small school high ceiling guys in the mid rds.

The problem with just doing that though is you miss out on high ceiling guys

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13652452)
3 years of Pro-Bowl/All-Pro out of him (plus a 2nd and 4th round picks).

Do people even know that this is better return than your average mid 1st round pick?

You'd rather have had Devante Parker, Melvin Gordon, Kevin Johnson or Arik Armstead, all guys drafted right in front of Peters? Or Cameron Erving, Agholor or Ogbuehi drafted right after..

Peters also has a negative influence on the physicality and attitude of the defense, one could argue. So was it really worth it?

Buckweath 07-31-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13652402)
Was he though? I mean, yeah he definitely had some hits. But is it really that much more than the average?

In five years of drafting (not having 2nd round picks for his first two years):

- He made the right choice between Fisher and Joeckel
- Kelce a top 3 TE in the 3rd round
- Hill a borderline top 10 WR in the 5th round
- LDT a solid guard in the 6th round
- Fulton a decent guard who has just cashed in 4 y/28M in the 6th round
- Chris Jones a top young DL in the 2nd round
- Peters is Peters
- Conley/Robinson as solid WR picks for 3rd and 4th round picks
- Nelson a decent late 3rd round pick started at CB
- Mahomes
- Hunt
- Kpassagnon (remains to be seen but I have a feeling he will be good)

Just name me one team which has drafted better in the last few years. I will wait.

For some reason, a lot of fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to the draft.

Rain Man 07-31-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13652432)
The Chiefs have been putting Chris Jones in a stand-up role in a few different packages this training camp. Justin Houston, the vet, already IS playing at every position, both on and off the line. Speaks is a rookie, and we're mostly working on finding him a home at OLB, but he's a former DT, and you can bet we're going to eventually move him around all different spots in the front 7.

Our safeties don't really have defined roles. Fuller and Nelson are both going to be used to defend outside and in the slot.

It's pretty clear that the Chiefs value players who do all kinds of things in all kinds of different formations in order to confuse offenses and mask their intentions when they line up. We've always done that since Sutton got here, but with a pick like Kpassagnon, I can at the very least respect that they don't believe in necessarily taking the player who will play the best in a particular defined position.

If they think an important future trend of defense in the NFL is having do-it-all players like Kpassagnon with the physical gifts to be disruptive no matter where they are, then I will be more than willing to chalk up my distrust of picking guys that high to my lack of understanding as a mere fan and not being able to think about things outside the box.

The long-term trend seems to be that positions are going away. Lineman move all over, linebackers are hybrid edge rushers, and safeties even seem to be diverging from the classic SS/FS model. Cornerbacks are the only position that seem to be pure relative to how they were defined 25 years ago.

Buckweath 07-31-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13652466)
Peters also has a negative influence on the physicality and attitude of the defense, one could argue. So was it really worth it?

Lol his stats speak for themselves. His All-pro honours speak for themselves.

It's as if you would tell me a 1200 yard and 10 TD receiver is a nuisance to the team.

I have no doubt that Veach and Reid had concerns as for Peters down the road, as he is approaching payday, and he will always be a risky player in terms of attitude and behaviour, but no one should question the fact that Peters was a great player for this team.

And I will say this about Peters. Sure he had attitude problems and maybe rubbed the wrong way his teammates sometimes but the guy was really competitive, had short memory and wouldn't put up with defeat. I respect that.

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13652488)
Lol his stats speak for themselves. His All-pro honours speak for themselves.

It's as if you would tell me a 1200 yard and 10 TD receiver is a nuisance to the team.

I have no doubt that Veach and Reid had concerns as for Peters down the road, as he is approaching payday, and he will always be a risky player in terms of attitude and behaviour, but no one should question the fact that Peters was a great player for this team.

uhh.....

Terrell Owens?

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13652474)

- Peters is Peters
- Mahomes
- Hunt

Just name me one team which has drafted better in the last few years. I will wait.

For some reason, a lot of fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to the draft.

This.

The Dorsey hate is idiotic. He was absolutely LOVED here until he was fired. Upon his firing, people were pissed.

Then, after weeks of debate, people convinced themselves that Dorsey was junk and that Veach was THE MAN.

Veach's first draft, on paper, is underwhelming as hell yet he gets the genius treatment because homerism.

Rain Man 07-31-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

- Peters is Peters
- Mahomes
- Hunt

I did an analysis in 2017 of this. See Post 73 of this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...hlight=Packers. Using a neutral third-party data source, it showed that the Chiefs were the best team in the NFL on draft success during the Dorsey era.

Hoover 07-31-2018 02:47 PM

I have no problem with the Perters pick - the trade, that's a different story.

Not saying I wouldn't have done it and we are getting 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder for him, which isn't nothing. The heartburn I get from the trade of peter is that our defense with Fuller and Perters could have been something else. Oh well.

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 13652488)
And I will say this about Peters. Sure he had attitude problems and maybe rubbed the wrong way his teammates sometimes but the guy was really competitive, had short memory and wouldn't put up with defeat. I respect that.

This too.

Trying to pretend that our issues in run support, or the D's lack of agression were Peters' fault is just ignant. If 10 other guys played like shit because Peters gave a poor tackling effort once in awhile (this shit is waaaaay overblown) then honestly, they have no business on an NFL roster.

Tribal Warfare 07-31-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13652491)
This.

Veach's first draft, on paper, is underwhelming as hell yet he gets the genius treatment because of Patrick Mahomes.

FYP

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13652500)
I did an analysis in 2017 of this. See Post 73 of this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...hlight=Packers. Using a neutral third-party data source, it showed that the Chiefs were the best team in the NFL on draft success during the Dorsey era.

You don't even need analysis for that. Anyone with half a brain can recognize this.

This is simply "Ex-GF" syndrome, in which your hot ex GF leaves you and you spend all your time rationalizing why she was wrong for you, and why your rebound bitch, ugly-fat Betty is the best thing for you now.

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13652507)
FYP

Yet Dorsey somehow doesn't get credit even though he was drafted under Dorsey?

See, that's that moronic shit i'm talking about.

Rain Man 07-31-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13652504)
This too.

Trying to pretend that our issues in run support, or the D's lack of agression were Peters' fault is just ignant. If 10 other guys played like shit because Peters gave a poor tackling effort once in awhile (this shit is waaaaay overblown) then honestly, they have no business on an NFL roster.

As Chuck Noll once said, "If I have to motivate you, I'm going to fire you."

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 02:52 PM

Meanwhile, there's been little to no criticism of Veach's draft, that on paper, looks ugly as sin.

Kiimo 07-31-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

This.

The Dorsey hate is idiotic. He was absolutely LOVED here until he was fired. Upon his firing, people were pissed.

Then, after weeks of debate, people convinced themselves that Dorsey was junk and that Veach was THE MAN.

Veach's first draft, on paper, is underwhelming as hell yet he gets the genius treatment because homerism.

I disagree with some things in here. People didn't convince themselves he was junk, the cap was a legit mess and players, top players, were pouting and not showing up to OTAs based directly on Dorsey's actions.

Veach's draft is going to be underwhelming without a first round pick but he appears to have nailed one on Tremon Smith anyway. Weren't you just saying people should give KPass time? and you're already burying this draft?

Tribal Warfare 07-31-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13652510)
Yet Dorsey somehow doesn't get credit even though he was drafted under Dorsey?

See, that's that moronic shit i'm talking about.

PMII was 100% a Veach guy per Reid, and it has been covered ad nauseam

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13652516)
I disagree with some things in here. People didn't convince themselves he was junk, the cap was a legit mess and players, top players, were pouting and not showing up to OTAs based directly on Dorsey's actions.

Veach's draft is going to be underwhelming without a first round pick but he appears to have nailed one on Tremon Smith anyway. Weren't you just saying people should give KPass time? and you're already burying this draft?

I said on paper, regarding this draft. Initially, this draft looks like shit. Of course we'll have to see how it pans out.

And the cap issue was bound to clear up. What cap saving move has Veach done that Dorsey wouldn't have?

We all knew that Hali, DJ and Alex were going to be off the books. That was a given. The cap doesn't stay stagnant.

The fact that Tremon Smith is your shinning hope for this draft class should say enough.

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13652517)
PMII was 100% a Veach guy per Reid, and it has been covered ad nauseam

Wrong.

Reid did not say that. He said Veach was adamant about him.

DORSEY is who engineered the trade. You think he wouldn't have engineered that trade if he wasn't in agreement?

He's the ****ing GM, regardless of who supported what pick, he gets credit. He gets blame for the busts, he gets credit for the stars. It happened under his watch. That's how this works.

pugsnotdrugs19 07-31-2018 02:57 PM

Veach didn’t have a pick this year until 59, so it’s not all that fair to judge right now. Also, I think on paper it looks pretty darn decent given what he had to work with.

Kiimo 07-31-2018 02:59 PM

First I don't know why you're immediately strident whenever someone disagrees with you. Second Tremon looks legit and he's a 6th rounder. That's a good pick. Your take on the draft is pure opinion and one I don't disagree with necessarily but I know better than to make snap judgements.

But this cap issue being bound to clear up is just wishful thinking and not based on any kind of reality whatsoever.

Tribal Warfare 07-31-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13652525)
Wrong.

Reid did not say that. He said Veach was adamant about him.

DORSEY is who engineered the trade. You think he wouldn't have engineered that trade if he wasn't in agreement?

He's the ****ing GM, regardless of who supported what pick, he gets credit. He gets blame for the busts, he gets credit for the stars. It happened under his watch. That's how this works.

Veach brought him to forefront and statements like "one of the best players I've scouted" dude. you are skewing the narrative.

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13652527)
Also, I think on paper it looks pretty darn decent given what he had to work with.

No, no the **** it doesn't. Again, this is you being glass half full. IMO, this draft reeks of scouting arrogance. A bunch of small school prospects. We'll see of course, but there's no way in hell you can look at this draft class and call it decent.

Maybe it turns out that way, it's impossible to know. But purely from a big name, high pedigree stand point, this draft sucked. There's no blue chippers in there that you can say, "Yup, that guy will be good. For sure."

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13652530)
First I don't know why you're immediately strident whenever someone disagrees with you. Second Tremon looks legit and he's a 6th rounder. That's a good pick. Your take on the draft is pure opinion and one I don't disagree with necessarily but I know better than to make snap judgements.

But this cap issue being bound to clear up is just wishful thinking and not based on any kind of reality whatsoever.

I don't get strident. I argue an opinion, otherwise, wtf are we here for? To sing songs and hold hands in unison about everything?

What i notice is that people get all sensitive and shit while they interpret my tone. The pussification of CP continues.

And again, before Dorsey was let go, it was common knowledge that those 3 huge cap hits would be gone and would in fact clear up cap space. So i ask, what big cap moves did Veach do to clear space that weren't already a given?

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13652531)
Veach brought him to forefront and statements like "one of the best players I've scouted" dude. you are skewing the narrative.

The only ones skewing the narrative are the ones that want to dump busts on Dorsey while not giving him credit for those he drafted. That's not how this works. That's not how this has EVER worked.

But how convenient that the rules changed for Dorsey, after Dorsey was fired, eh? But i'm skewing the narrative? Mmmkay...

BleedingRed 07-31-2018 03:07 PM

Doresy deserves credit for drafts.... But the guy was DOG SHIT when it came to contracts

Tribal Warfare 07-31-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13652542)
The only ones skewing the narrative are the ones that want to dump busts on Dorsey while not giving him credit for those he drafted. That's not how this works. That's not how this has EVER worked.

But how convenient that the rules changed for Dorsey, after Dorsey was fired, eh? But i'm skewing the narrative? Mmmkay...

LOL, on PMII yes you are. Veach was hired because of him, Brett will sink or swim on Mahomes' success.

RunKC 07-31-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13652515)
Meanwhile, there's been little to no criticism of Veach's draft, that on paper, looks ugly as sin.

Depends on what your expectations are. I don’t think there is a true “star” but a bunch of solid players.

This defense needs those kind of guys badly.

RealSNR 07-31-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

This.

I think people were hating on Dorsey for cap management reasons and letting too many big money deals consume the team. I don't think anybody said he was shitty at drafting or going dumpster diving for random players off waivers and practice squads who made some decent contributions.

The criticism I put up about his drafts wasn't just a, "Oh, he's fired? Well, I never liked this aspect of his drafts!" kind of thing. It was something discussed on CP going all the way back to the Dee Ford pick: Dorsey tended to shoot for the moon a lot in the first 3-4 rounds when he didn't necessarily have to. He'd draft a lot of high-ceiling and low floor players with really valuable draft stock, and many of those players were guys who would need redshirt rookie seasons because they'd otherwise simply get abused during the regular season. People pointed out that when he made those picks, there were plenty of guys throughout those drafts who had close to the same potential without so many hurdles to cross early in their careers.

Yes, you have to do that sometimes. Every GM does it occasionally. Even Scott Pioli did it with the Dontari Poe pick. But you need balance in case those raw, high ceiling guys don't hit at the rate you want them to.

You can criticize him for a draft strategy without saying, "I think he sucks at drafting!" Although, damn... I'm still pretty stunned how he handled the Browns' first two picks in 2018.

O.city 07-31-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

- Peters is Peters
- Mahomes
- Hunt

Definitely some good picks. But compared to other top teams around the league, I dunno that it’s crazy to say it’s nearly the same.

He definitely had an eye for talent. The cap stuff got him in trouble and apparently his interactions with others or whatever.

I liked him here for sure.

O.city 07-31-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13652532)
No, no the **** it doesn't. Again, this is you being glass half full. IMO, this draft reeks of scouting arrogance. A bunch of small school prospects. We'll see of course, but there's no way in hell you can look at this draft class and call it decent.

Maybe it turns out that way, it's impossible to know. But purely from a big name, high pedigree stand point, this draft sucked. There's no blue chippers in there that you can say, "Yup, that guy will be good. For sure."

Who are these small school prospects you’re talking about?

O.city 07-31-2018 03:15 PM

There’s one 6th rounder from a small school. Other than that...?

Shoes 07-31-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13652532)

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13652556)

I don't know which small schools he is referring to either:

Breeland Speaks- Ole Miss
Derrick Nnadi- Florida State
Dorian O'Daniel- Clemson
Armani Watts- Texas A&M
Tremon Smith- Central Arkansas
Khalil McKenzie- Tennessee

Literally only Tremon Smith is who I'd consider a small school prospect- interestingly enough Tremon Smith has a lot more hype surrounding him than the other draft picks.

ToxSocks 07-31-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13652556)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoes (Post 13652564)
I don't know which small schools he is referring to either:

Breeland Speaks- Ole Miss
Derrick Nnadi- Florida State
Dorian O'Daniel- Clemson
Armani Watts- Texas A&M
Tremon Smith- Central Arkansas
Khalil McKenzie- Tennessee

Literally only Tremon Smith is who I'd consider a small school prospect- interestingly enough Tremon Smith has a lot more hype surrounding him than the other draft picks.

Alright, touche.